WW2Treasures

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I won the auction. Did I pay "funny money"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won the auction. Did I pay "funny money"?

I don't think so. I'm not sure how many saw this on auction on eBay. Ended up paying $281.00. I was prepared to go about another $90.00, but luckily I didn't have to. To me, it gets no better than this. First, it is IJN, outstanding provenance with letters from the marine who captured it, a write up by Dr. Bortner, and from the Battle of Saipan. An IJN piece picked up on Saipan makes me wonder if it came from a SNLF soldier. No way to know I guess. But such a neat piece, and so well documented, I really wanted it for my collection. Any and all opinions appreciated. If you think I'm a fool for paying that much, it won't hurt my feelings There is one more item I'm going to try hard for. Will know within a week if I get it. If not, there is another piece I'm going to get, but anyhow, hopefully I can show you another new addition to my collection in a few days.

Regards,
    Joel
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Der Texaner; 01-11-2012, 03:43 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Knowledge of at least some of the history of the piece is the true value. "Things" come and go, but this is a keeper.

Mike

Comment

Excellent Joel! worth every penny, especially with the weite up from MikeB.

PG-

Comment

I like it and I think it was worth what you paid. Nice naval piece.

Comment

Very nice piece with super artwork. Congrats! Regards, David.

Comment

Ebay

I remember this guy . He sold all of his usmc camo and gear as well as a lot of japanese bringback items last yea on ebay ......

Comment

If you got this piece from Dr. Mike, you will not have any disappointments.

He is one of the nicest, honest guys in a (sometimes) wacky hobby.

Comment

Oddly enough, from the seller of this item who is in France, last month or so I purchased a grouping of collar insignia that was gathered by a medic assigned to the 2nd Marines, whose name I have, on Saipan and Tinian. Not the same marine this grouping is named to. It seems as though this French collector (part time dealer?) had an interest in groupings with provenance and is getting rid of some of his material. Thanks for the comments guys.

Joel

Comment

Originally posted by kaigunfan View Post
                        If you got this piece from Dr. Mike, you will not have any disappointments.

He is one of the nicest, honest guys in a (sometimes) wacky hobby.
                        Hi, and thanks. Dr. Mike did the write up, but I didn't purchase from him.

Best...
                        Joel

Comment

Hey guys, I got this set in the mail today. Even better than I expected. No real yellowing to the linen and it is going to make a fine display once I figure out how I'm going to display it. There is a letter, written by the vet and signed, with all of his contact info at the time of the letter being written.

A question for those who would know.....This piece was picked up on Saipan by a PFC in the 20th Regiment, 4th Marine Division. The piece itself belonged to a Japanese sailor. Given it was taken on the island, would this mean it belonged to a NLF soldier? I'm not sure if there is a way to be 100% sure, and frankly it doesn't matter to me, but it would be nice to know what is likely. Thank you! Once I get a display together, I'll post a picture for you guys. Many thanks...

Joel

Comment

No way of telling who it belong to i.e. Navy or NLF sailor. the IJN 55th Guard Unit (Keibitai) was also with the Yokosuka 1st SNLF assigned to Saipan.

Regards, David.

Comment

Thanks David. I have the sailor's name, but its my understanding, as I'm sure most of you already know, its virtually impossible (I've also been told illegal) to get access to service records of Japanese soldiers and sailors. I was just reading up on Saipan. I didn't know the Battle of Saipan had the largest Banzai charge in the history of WWII. Over 3000. Can't imagine what that would have sounded like yet alone been like.

Regards,
                              Joel

Edited to add this that I found in regards to IJN personal stationed on Saipan...

Central Pacific Area Fleet Headquarters Vice Adm. Chuichi Nagumo 502
                              5th Base Force Headquarters (this headquarters was combined with Central Pacific Area Fleet Headquarters) Adm. Takahisa Tsujimura
                              55th Naval Guard Force Capt. Sanji Takashima 2,000
                              Yokosuka 1st Special Naval Landing Force Lt. Comdr. Tatsue Karashima 800
                              5th Construction Department Rear Admiral Tsujimura 456
                              5th Communications Unit Lt. Comdr. Shinasaku Miyazaki 369
                              41st Naval Guard Force (Straggler Unit) 400
                              Saipan Branch, 4th Fleet Supplies and Accounts Department Comdr. Makota Mihara 45
                              1st Branch, Truk Transportation Department Comdr. Akiyoshi Mizumoto
                              Saipan Harbor Master Department Ens. Shoichi Takahashi 100
                              Saipan Branch, 4th Naval Stores Department Comdr. Akiyoshi Mizumoto
                              Last edited by Der Texaner; 01-20-2012, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X