Japanes signed flags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
    Two references to the White Tiger(Byakko Tai, 白虎隊) unit of Aizu, place the origins of the flag in Fukushima, nowadays known for its radiance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byakkotai
    Thanks Nick -- I didn't even see those. A few months ago I was watching NHK's "Yae Sakura", and saw the episodes about the Byakko Tai; as is usual, NHK also did a separate special on the Byakko Tai.

The implied emphasis on the flag -- I think -- is that "young men" [BKT were a combat reserve aged about 16-17 years old] are expected to sacrifice their all for Japan [instead of just the Aizu Clan]. There were only 20 survivors, and all committed suicide; only one boy survived his suicide attempt. Wiki Byakkotai.

The top quote on the flag says:
    會津鶴城白虎隊児山口博君
    Aizu Kakujo Byakkotai-ji Yamaguchi Hiroshi-kun

Aizu Crane Castle White Tiger Unit Child, Yamaguchi Hiroshi
    [or, "Hiroshi Yamaguchi, a Child of the White Tiger Unit of Aizu's Crane Castle."]

The bottom one:
    七生報国白虎神み [can't read last two kanji]
    坂内
    Shichiseihōkoku Byakkotai Kami ...
    Sakauchi
    Shoukichi [also: Shouyosh; Souyoshi]
    note: I'm not 100% certain of

Dedicate Seven Lives to the Nation - White Tiger Unit God [OO]
    Signed: Sakauchi Shoukichi

--Guy

Comment

Thanks to you both Guy and Nick......This is fantastic stuff. I had never heard of the Byakko Tai, so has been fun reading about them.

Again Thank you so much for the info, I can almost feel the history radiating off it..

(whoops no pun intended for that last line......)

Comment

Just an additional question... From what we know of this flag is there any way to hazard a guess of what regiment or division this man may have belonged to??

I know its very vague but maybe the clues could add up.....

Comment

Originally posted by grimnar View Post
          Just an additional question... From what we know of this flag is there any way to hazard a guess of what regiment or division this man may have belonged to??

I know its very vague but maybe the clues could add up.....
          My guess would be with a regiment that recruited from the Fukushima area.

My swordsmanship instructor was from Yamagata -- he enlisted with the 32nd Yamagata Infantry Regiment. I suppose it would be similar to Geordies enlisting with the Northumberland Fusiliers or Tyneside Scottish instead of the Royal Anglican Regiment.

==== 10 minutes later ======

Just did a wild-guess search for "ija infantry regiments, aizu wakamatsu" and found the 65th Infantry Regiment (Aizu-Wakamatsu). Maybe he's from the 65th???

It was part of the 13th Infantry Division
          The 13th Division was resurrected in 1937 with the start of the Second Sino-Japanese War, and saw combat during the Battle of Shanghai, Battle of Nanjing (and subsequent Nanjing Massacre, although it was not one of the main Divisions at Nanjing at the time), Battle of Xuzhou, and Battle of Wuhan. It was also part of Operation Ichigo (Battle of Henan-Hunan-Guangxi). It ended the war in Changsha, Hunan Province.
          --Guy

Comment

No way to be conclusive on that point. The Sendai Military District in the prefecture north of Fukushima drew members from Fukushima, so all 10 Sendai based Inft. Divisions could apply.

Comment

Guy,
              Maybe a good starting point....

Nick,
              Thanks, I thought it may have been a long shot, but even so, I am still extremely happy with all the hard work that you and Guy have done for me and this great item.

I have included some additional photos of the item for your interest. Starting at the 12 O'clock position and going clockwise around.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X