CollectorToCollector

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

guys on American Pickers found a WWII Japanese helmet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

guys on American Pickers found a WWII Japanese helmet!

anybody see the show AMERICAN PICKERS last night? they were looking through a lady's son's storage building / shed and found a few WWII Japanese war souvineers!

they found a box with Japanese writing for $30 a Japanese model 30 helmet with star insignia & liner

some old pottery and misc items total of $115 for everything!

I think they got the Japanese helmet for around $25 - $30

the lady said her father shipped it back during WWII from Iwo Jima or some other places from the Pacific.

Yes,i saw it. Helmet looked a little rough after all those years in the barn. But still well worth what they paid for it.
    Larry

Comment

They even thought it was an American helmet because of the star on the front Yeah, I cringe every time that happens!, I want it to be me finding it! Last week they got a Japanese sword from another guy. He had 2, but they only picked up 1 as he wanted $200 for each. The old guy even had a Japanese rifle and bayonet they left behind.

PG-

Comment

Well, I like the show but militaria nuts they are not. When Mike asked if it was a U.S. helmet I had to laugh. Don't anyone write them and tell them, tho, cause then they will tell EVERYONE. Keep 'em stoooopid.

xoxoxox

Comment

...Yeah, I almost fell off the couch when I saw him pull that helmet out of the attic! Todd
          Seeking original IJA & NLF Helmets w/ their original Helmet Covers & Camo nets... WWII USMC "War Trophies", and ID'ed Raider Items/Groupings

Comment

Originally posted by IJANLFHELMETS View Post
            ...Yeah, I almost fell off the couch when I saw him pull that helmet out of the attic! Todd
            No sh*t. But I can tell you this: I will be stopping at random old houses with random old people walking around and asking if we can go through their garage.

Comment

Japanese helmet

I also noticed when they picked the helmet up when it was laying on the garage floor something fell out? it looked like a piece of Japanese web gear or something like that? possibly the personnal effects of the soldier that wore the helmet.

maybe a small pouch or piece of a uniform or a battle dressing?

Comment

The Japanese helmet actually looked like it was in pretty good condition. It had the liner and chinstrap.

I saw the pickers pass right by a Civil War rifle in the same episode. It was hanging up on the wall above their heads.

Eddie

Comment

Originally posted by bolo View Post
                  I also noticed when they picked the helmet up when it was laying on the garage floor something fell out? it looked like a piece of Japanese web gear or something like that? possibly the personnal effects of the soldier that wore the helmet.

maybe a small pouch or piece of a uniform or a battle dressing?
                  To me, it looked like the liner fell out of the helmet??

PG-

Comment

Originally posted by paul g View Post
                    to me, it looked like the liner fell out of the helmet??

Pg-
                    that was my thought too,at least part of it.

Comment

Hey guys,

I too WAS SHOCKED at how these BOZOS buy stuff they leave WAY TOO MUCH BEHIND. Yes, I saw the first episode where they didn’t buy the rest of the Japanese swords, rifles ect.. I almost fell out of my chair that they just left it in the old mans barn.

What really bummed me out and perhaps I'm remembering wrong was they took the one sword (that they bought for 200) to the "expert". He said it was just a standard Military issue sword and the tang was cut off and you couldn’t see the signatures. When the camera panned down it didn’t look cut off to me.

Also, from what I could see it was NOT a standard issue Kai-Gunto sword. He mentioned it has an IRON Tsuba (all the military ones I've owned were brass). The back of the grip didn’t have the cap it just had a civilian style end cap not the bigger cap the military ones have.. He probably had a VERY pre war civilian sword.. .worth MUCH more than the 600 he quoted them..

They must be doing something else on the side.. To make some cash..

From what I can see they are going through overgrown bushes, mud, bees, ect for the "rusty GOLD" but coming back with some small returns on items.. You through in the cost of gas, time ect.. They are probably LOSING MONEY...

I'm I missing something?

I had something kinda close to that situation. I ran in ad in another town 3 months ago and I get a call from a guy in my town. His mother saw my ad and sent it to her son (3 months later). He had 2 standard Kai-Gunto swords and wanted about what the guys on the show bought theirs for.. This happened 3 weeks ago.... So the good "picks" are still out there.

I do like his saying "Everyday is a treasure hunt"....Aint that the truth!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oldnewbie View Post
                        Hey guys,

I too WAS SHOCKED at how these BOZOS buy stuff they leave WAY TOO MUCH BEHIND. Yes, I saw the first episode where they didn’t buy the rest of the Japanese swords, rifles ect.. I almost fell out of my chair that they just left it in the old mans barn.

What really bummed me out and perhaps I'm remembering wrong was they took the one sword (that they bought for 200) to the "expert". He said it was just a standard Military issue sword and the tang was cut off and you couldn’t see the signatures. When the camera panned down it didn’t look cut off to me.

Also, from what I could see it was NOT a standard issue Kai-Gunto sword. He mentioned it has an IRON Tsuba (all the military ones I've owned were brass). The back of the grip didn’t have the cap it just had a civilian style end cap not the bigger cap the military ones have.. He probably had a VERY pre war civilian sword.. .worth MUCH more than the 600 he quoted them..

They must be doing something else on the side.. To make some cash..

From what I can see they are going through overgrown bushes, mud, bees, ect for the "rusty GOLD" but coming back with some small returns on items.. You through in the cost of gas, time ect.. They are probably LOSING MONEY...

I'm I missing something?

I had something kinda close to that situation. I ran in ad in another town 3 months ago and I get a call from a guy in my town. His mother saw my ad and sent it to her son (3 months later). He had 2 standard Kai-Gunto swords and wanted about what the guys on the show bought theirs for.. This happened 3 weeks ago.... So the good "picks" are still out there.

I do like his saying "Everyday is a treasure hunt"....Aint that the truth!!!
                        I dont think you are missing anything. I think they are full of **** and not true pickers. Its sorta like the pawnstars episodes. They bring in experts who only tell what the true value is. If I owned the shop I would have the items looked at with just me and the expert , not the owner. I think all the crap has a script to it. Or they are just morons who will be drawing a check sooner than later from the welfare office.

Comment

It's a TV show-scenes are set up-I imagine anything they"ignore" has been turned down or something but not missed.
                          A lot of similarity to pro wrasslin' going on.

I grew up in the 50s and began collecting relics then.

99% came from vets' basements, garages and attics.

Dealers were just getting started.

Average Arisaka w/bayonet was about 10 bucks-or free.

My dad and most guys in my area were vets and pickin's was good.
                          Found and saw some really interesting stuff.

I quit collecting after my own service time, but interested in how things are going.

There is still some of it left out there.
                          MLP

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
                            To me, it looked like the liner fell out of the helmet??

PG-
                            no, I re-watched the episode with On Demand and tried to see what fell out and it was not the liner, it was a tan colored belt or something that made a distinctive sound like it had something in it when it fell on the floor as they looked at the helmet, maybe the sound of the buckle as it hit the floor?

Comment

I think it was a U.S. web waist belt with a pouch attached.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X