No announcement yet.

WW II Army NCO Japanese sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that thee average Japanese would not understand the meaning of how a sword was placed on the kake. I found out many years ago when I had a group from a Japanese shinsa team to my house for dinner. One of them noticed, changed the position of my mount and explained. As I said, I made this post to inform the collector in the case he ever has a person from the sword world visit.

Comment

Bob,

Having the handle facing right considered a act of aggression? Just curious...

Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
        Wow, a blast from the past.

Hi Ralph,

Always good to see a nice display and that sake cup really makes it POP!

Regards,
        Stu
        Thank Stu!
        I agree.
        Ralph.

Comment

Thanks Bob and Guy!
          I will keep that in mind.
          Ralph.

Comment

Originally posted by blitzkrieg gsd View Post
            Very nice sword good to see it and your display is good looking to. Your display has given me a good idea on how to display a sword and flag brought back by my uncle. As for the value of your sword I would PM Stu and see what he thinks about value . He has always been great to me when I had questions and very honest with his answers. You have to be careful when getting a appraisal for a number of reasons.
            Thank you!
            Glad I could give you some ideas.
            I am more familiar with the values now than I was. Stu and I communicate back and forth once in a while.
            Ralph.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie1 View Post
              Bob,

Having the handle facing right considered a act of aggression? Just curious...

Charlie
              Not really. The custom woud have been prevelant in the feudal era. It allowed the owner to be able to draw his sword quicly in the case of agression. It was more a lack of trust towards the visitor.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
                I agree that thee average Japanese would not understand the meaning of how a sword was placed on the kake. I found out many years ago when I had a group from a Japanese shinsa team to my house for dinner. One of them noticed, changed the position of my mount and explained. As I said, I made this post to inform the collector in the case he ever has a person from the sword world visit.
                I love learning this stuff!

A good while back I was at a sword appraisal event. Just before my turn came our host/interpreter offered to show me one of his. Ok, gee thanks. Hilt firmly in both hands I maneuvered the naked blade in order to see its details, cutting edge out. Almost right away I realized I was doing a dance with my host, he insisting on facing the cutting edge and me trying to avoid it happening. When what was going on became obvious it stopped. Still makes me smile.

Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Rod G View Post
                  I love learning this stuff!

A good while back I was at a sword appraisal event. Just before my turn came our host/interpreter offered to show me one of his. Ok, gee thanks. Hilt firmly in both hands I maneuvered the naked blade in order to see its details, cutting edge out. Almost right away I realized I was doing a dance with my host, he insisting on facing the cutting edge and me trying to avoid it happening. When what was going on became obvious it stopped. Still makes me smile.

Rod
                  Sword handling courtesy always calls for the individual possesing the sword to hand it to another with the cutting edge towards himself. This is still practiced today at any event where swords are handed from one person to another.

Comment

Comment

Sword handling courtesy always calls for the individual possesing the sword to hand it to another with the cutting edge towards himself. This is still practiced today at any event where swords are handed from one person to another.
                      That Bob was the case in handing me the sword as I remember it. What followed with the ducking and weaving, I believe, was a test of my sword manners. A potential inside joke at my expense which was averted. I really liked the gentleman and all the more so after.

Rod

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X