WW II Army NCO Japanese sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW II Army NCO Japanese sword

Hello, I normally collect mostly WWII German items, correction, I normally collect edged weapons, correction, I normally collect what I like. I have owned this piece for about 20 years. It is not a pieced together one, all of the parts show minimal shrinkage and the fit is generally tight. It has a hand forged blade and arsonal fittings. I have not taken it apart to check the tang for maker's marks. It also has a weather cover for the scabbard but not for the handle.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rbminis; 04-09-2009, 08:16 PM.

I have used a flash for some of the photos to show detail and condition.
    Attached Files

Comment

Other side of handle.
      Attached Files

Comment

Details.
        Attached Files

Comment

Mon.
          Attached Files

Comment

Blade.
            Attached Files

Comment

I am not sure if anyone out there can translate what is hand written on the inside of the flap of the weather cover.
              Attached Files

Comment

this is not a NCO sword, it's an officer's sword. the name on the flap is Tanaka.

Comment

older blade?

from the bohi and hamon/hada it may be a older blade, would love to see the nakago (tang) also how long from tip to habaki notch. more blade shots please

thanks for shareing

Comment

Originally posted by ZERO-sen View Post
                    this is not a NCO sword, it's an officer's sword. the name on the flap is Tanaka.
                    Sorry, you are right, I am entitled as I am blonde. Have not had this out for many years, forgotten a few things. I will amend the title.
                    Do all of the charicatures represent the name Tanaka? Or is there more?
                    Will take more blade shots and post, will also consider removing the handle for more photos.

Comment

Its got a nice temper line, but must have had a flaw on the side as they grooved the blade. Many times done to cover flaws. Still everyone needs one good japanese sword, as the soul is attached to the blade. Nice regardless, you should look him up. Was this a vet find, or a show pickup?please measure the length from the habaki inset on the top of the blade top to the tip. is it over 26"?

Comment

This blade is not grooved. I believe this is called a wakizashi as it is 20" long from tip to habaki notch.
                        Attached Files

Comment

More blade.
                          Attached Files

Comment

One side of tang.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Other side of tang.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X