Attached Files

Comment

More marks.
      Attached Files

Comment

End of handle.
        Attached Files

Comment

the name looks like Tanaka Mitsumasa (left side) single step 155 (independent army 155???)

Comment

right you are the light was playing tricks with my eyes, other too, nice Wak from Shinto era, very nice find.

Comment

I am not planning on selling this, but after having it for 20 years, I am curious of the approximate current market value if anyone would be willing to let me know.

Comment

i just got back to this thread, and see now there is no groove, just the way the photo looked before you posted more shots as a reflection looked like a groove. It might be a kamikazi sword , as standard ww2 swords are 24 to 26". Shorter swords were carried by japanese pilots in their planes, and so called for a much shorter blade for less space. Laugh all you want , but there is such a thing. Not that this is one, but I feel the pices of samurai's Have gone up in the last two decades, and if it hasnt been buffed, will command over a G anyway. It is difficult to find a sword collector who will appraise it for free, and tell you straight, as they are basically out for themselves. I would take offers, and shop it around, but e bay may be the best venue to sell this one on if you ever decide to part with it . When it get around it isnt for sale no one will want to look at it, as the first dealer who doesnt buy when a swords for sale , makes all the other collectors shun it., if the buyer is respected by other collectors.It seems to have a longer point wich is a good thing, but i cant see the temper line to see if it comes back around the point. You will most likely not ever get a true appraisal for nothing, so it really doesnt matter what its worth till you get to where you want to turn it into cash. It appears to be a smith made blade, and being unmarked is also not bad. Good luck I hope you get the free appraisal, but dont hold your breath. Its a nice sword regardless. These are getting to be like hens teeth to find.
                Last edited by juoneen; 04-14-2009, 10:52 PM.

Comment

First of all, thank you for your time and all your comments. I am not looking for a free appraisal, only an approximate current value, and I am pretty well aware of how appraisals are usually done, not all, but a lot will tell you your item is worth so much (usually low) and then offer to buy it. The temper line does come back around the point. I do plan on keeping this one, because way up here, good ones, be it Japanese swords or TR items are hard to come by for any kind of a reasonable price, specially with the way the dollar is right now. Again, thanks for all your time and positive comments.
                  Ralph.

Comment

My apologies to everyone, as my profile is gone, as well as all connections to any past posts and all PM's, this post is the only way that I can think of to reclaim my connection to past posts or threads.

Comment

Hi Ralph,

I see by your most recent post that the tech wizards were not able to reestablish your lost identity. Have they learned what caused the situation? If so it might be worth explaining in the Community forum so others can avoid the same situation.

Best regards,
                      Stu

Comment

Hello Stu,
                        Sorry I missed this post. I have no idea why my profile disappeared and no one has come forward with a possible reason.
                        I also thought I would post the display I have created for this sword. The flag is draped over a wooden dowel so as not to create any folds in the flag.
                        Ralph.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wow, a blast from the past.

Hi Ralph,

Always good to see a nice display and that sake cup really makes it POP!

Regards,
                          Stu

Comment

Very nice sword good to see it and your display is good looking to. Your display has given me a good idea on how to display a sword and flag brought back by my uncle. As for the value of your sword I would PM Stu and see what he thinks about value . He has always been great to me when I had questions and very honest with his answers. You have to be careful when getting a appraisal for a number of reasons.

Comment

In Japan, the manner in which you have mounted your swords on the katana kake would be an insult to a guest. The present manner of mounting allows the blade to be drawn from the stand meaning you do not trust the individual you are hosting. The polite way is to reverse the handle to the left which, unless you are left handed, cannot be quickly drawn. This is not a criticism but a bit of sword courtesy that was bestowed upon me many years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
                                In Japan, the manner in which you have mounted your swords on the katana kake would be an insult to a guest. The present manner of mounting allows the blade to be drawn from the stand meaning you do not trust the individual you are hosting. The polite way is to reverse the handle to the left which, unless you are left handed, cannot be quickly drawn. This is not a criticism but a bit of sword courtesy that was bestowed upon me many years ago.
                                Bob,

You're technically correct ... but today no one would notice unless they were involved in iaido or old-style fencing (not kendo). And it's not so much an insult -- the visitor would (in those long-ago days) have definitely noticed the position! With the handle placed as in the original poster's image, the sword is displayed in the "alert" position, ready to be used at a moment's notice.

Here's what is normally seen today:

Additionally, tachi were displayed cutting edge down:

And gunto are technically tachi, aren't they?

If using a tachi stand the sword is placed with the handle downward. This position would allow the tachi to be drawn while sitting on the floor:

I additionally note that my late sensei, who was a swordsmanship instructor in the army, always had his swords displayed with the handle to the left, in the "safe" position.

--Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X