No announcement yet.

Recent find, grey naval helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any other ideas on which area of service my example may have been used in? Would it be regarded as definately shipboard either battle or merchant vessel etc, or could this type have also been used at naval docks, land defense etc? Or, just not enough known information to make a definitive call at this time? I'm thinking probably the latter, but if this type is not often seen, perhaps it was most likely for shipboard use? But, somewhat answering my own question here, I would guess there are few definites when it comes to 'labelling' a helmet type as a definite to a specific area, particularly if the item is a late manufactured piece - what do you think?

Regards
    Russ

Comment

Russ, I don't think well ever know for sure! It's all personal speculation & opinion. Only conclusive proof would be period photos. Even that would be tough as how a grey helmet looks in black & white photos!

Comment

I guess you're probably correct, speculation and opinion are interesting to discuss and likely all we'll ever have. Period pics would be difficult as you say but likely very difficult to come by for the purpose required.

Regards
        Russ

Comment

Originally posted by RussellM View Post
          I guess you're probably correct, speculation and opinion are interesting to discuss and likely all we'll ever have. Period pics would be difficult as you say but likely very difficult to come by for the purpose required.

Regards
          Russ
          It sure is fun to see one come up and talk about it though. Thanks for posting it and sharing it with the board.
          Scott

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X