More of the Japanese Helmets/headwear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David,

Thanks for posting the photos of your Japanese helmets and headgear.

I offer the following feedback on your pieces:

- The yellow painted anchor on your shipboard blue Navy helmet appears to be a repainted original anchor. The shipboard blue painted shell looks like it may have been repainted too. The liner inside the helmet looks like it may be a post war reproduction liner as does the draw string and chin straps.

- The Army helmet with the large yellow star looks like a post-war reworked helmet as the liner is and chin strap retaining system are not Japanese. The large yellow star on the front of the shell is also not Japanese and in my opinion is a post war reproduction star that someone made up and added to the shell.

- Bobby R. has already commented on the Navy helmet cover and I am in agreement with his comments.

- The other Navy helmet and Army helmet do not appear to be correct either and my guess is that these helmets have been "enhanced" by someone.

- Of the two civil defense/home guard helmets, one of them appears to be untouched while the other one someone has added a reproduction insignia to the shell.

- The Imperial Guard enlisted man's visor hat looks okay from the photos, but the chin strap and visor look new and thus further examination would be required. (I recently examine a reproduction Imperial Guard enlisted man's visor hat, which was very well made and marked, that turned out to be a reproduction so my guess is that this hat may be a reproduction as well.)

- Insofar as the two Army field soft caps, neither cap is good in my opinion. On the one cap with the stamping, someone went through a lot of trouble to fabricate a some what readable Japanese stamping. However, there are numerous other issues with both caps such as the insignia, which appears to be home made and exceedingly large, chin strap, etc.

I wish this news was better, but unfortunately it's not. If I can be of any further assistance to you, please let me know.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Doody; 09-26-2005, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Doody
      David,

Thanks for posting the photos of your Japanese helmets and headgear.

I offer the following feedback on your pieces:

- The yellow painted anchor on your shipboard blue Navy helmet appears to be a repainted original anchor. The shipboard blue painted shell looks like it may have been repainted too. The liner inside the helmet looks like it may be a post war reproduction liner as does the draw string and chin straps.

- The Army helmet with the large yellow star looks like a post-war reworked helmet as the liner is and chin strap retaining system are not Japanese. The large yellow star on the front of the shell is also not Japanese and in my opinion is a post war reproduction star that someone made up and added to the shell.

- Bobby R. has already commented on the Navy helmet cover and I am in agreement with his comments.

- The other Navy helmet and Army helmet do not appear to be correct either and my guess is that these helmets have been "enhanced" by someone.

- Of the two civil defense/home guard helmets, one of them appears to be untouched while the other one someone has added a reproduction insignia to the shell.

- The Imperial Guard enlisted man's visor hat looks okay from the photos, but the chin strap and visor look new and thus further examination would be required. (I recently examine a reproduction Imperial Guard enlisted man's visor hat, which was very well made and marked, that turned out to be a reproduction so my guess is that this hat may be a reproduction as well.)

- Insofar as the two Army field soft caps, neither cap is good in my opinion. On the one cap with the stamping, someone went through a lot of trouble to fabricate a some what readable Japanese stamping. However, there are numerous other issues with both caps such as the insignia, which appears to be home made and exceedingly large, chin strap, etc.

I wish this news was better, but unfortunately it's not. If I can be of any further assistance to you, please let me know.

Eric
      David,
      As we spoke earlier, I would have to agree with both Eric and Bob and they offered good observations about your headgear. The only thing I might add is the one helmet looks to be post war Thailand style.....Japanese helmet but with a converted liner and used by the Thailand army & police post war. I'm no expert on these but it could be.......
      Thanks for letting us take a look....and it's always better to know than not to know.
      John

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys, as said better to know.....

Comment

Hi David,
          I can confirm the 2nd helmet was reissued to the Thai Army. It should have the special Thai front insignia.
          Sorry for the bad news .
          Phil.

Comment

Originally posted by helmhunter
            Hi David,
            I can confirm the 2nd helmet was reissued to the Thai Army. It should have the special Thai front insignia.
            Sorry for the bad news .
            Phil.
            It is this badge. Might be worth adding the badge to the helmet and then you'd have a complete piece.
            http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-Siamese-Tha...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X