Franco-Prussian War Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Antonio,

Nice bars! Here is a quick view of a few of my Prussian ones.

Of course anyone can add to the discussion. Thanks for the kind words, but there are certainly others who have more advanced collections relating to this era.
    Attached Files
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Here is my favorite Zündnadelgewehr. A 1869 dated Jägerbüsche M65, with most of its original finish remaining. A Hirschfänger M65 bayonet and scabbard, which is rare in its original configuration. Most were later modified to mount on the Mauser M1871, and were then called the M65/71. A M1860 Garde Jäger/Schützen Tschako, and a pair of M1850 ammo pouches.

Some rounds recovered from the Gravelotte battlefield. On top are a couple of unfired M1855 rounds, and some fired M1847 rounds. On the bottom are some fired M1855 rounds, and French Chassepot rounds.
      Attached Files
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
        Hi Antonio,

Nice bars! Here is a quick view of some Prussian ones.

Of course anyone can add to the discussion. This is a rather new side interest of mine. Thanks for the kind words, but there certainly others who have some more advanced collections relating to this era.
        Outstanding Medal Bar Collection.

Congratulations once again.

And yes, there will be other collectors with better collections, but at the same time, it takes also a lot to get where you are now.

Best Regards

Antonio

Comment

Hi Willi,

would you mind to show the Truppenstempel on the JB65 and the Hirschfänger 65 ?
          (Still looking for a good HF65 as well...)

Regards

Torsten

Comment

Great thread and super collection Willi!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Torsten, the JB65 is marked "G S", obviously for Garde Schützen. I don't recall the unit marking on the HF65, but I know it is a weak marking due to it having been scrubbed hard at some point.
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

A couple of M1866 boards.
                Attached Files
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Willy, those IR95 boards were a nice catch at the SOS. Good buy. Cheers, Tom
                  Last edited by kaiserwilhelm2; 06-25-2019, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Added a nice untouched Bavarian M1868 Jäger Raupenhelm.
                    Attached Files
                    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
                        Thought I would cobble some of my items together for a quick display. A little diversion from FJ collecting, and something new to study. 1866 dated M60 Pickelhaube marked to "II GR, 1.B, 3. C". The tunic; 2nd Guard Grenadiers. Early tunic (features of a Model 1867 with post-1874 addition of Garde Litzen), M62 Zündnadelgewehr, M62 bayonet with rare scabbard, musette bag, M1867 canteen, pair of left and right M1850 pouches to the same unit, etc.
                        Fantastic idea and some really cool items if yu make a manikin display it will be awsome!!

Comment

A memento from the war. The lid top states "Sacred thunder...where is the damn Prussian" and the lid inside states "Here is the Prussian".
                          Attached Files
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

An era candle stick holder with 3 M1841 Needle Guns. Found in an antique mall IDed as Springfield rifles.

Cool photo with stacked rifles, and one soldier carrying one of the 2 variants of the M62 bayonet scabbards.
                            Attached Files
                            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

A Model 1862 Prussian Uhlan Tschapka. From either the 8th or 16th Uhlan Regiment, based on the color of the parade fitting, front plate, order of battle, etc. This example is battle damaged and was found on the battlefield by a French cavalry officer, who at some point donated it to the Saumur Cavalry School. Appears to have received a sabre hit on the left top edge.

Restored at some point (by the museum) with a new visor and front rail. Obtained in 1985 in a trade with the museum (as it was no longer needed for display) by a well-known French collector and author. Sold to another collector in France a few years ago, and now to me.

As the front rail should be silver for both the 8th and 16th, the incorrect rail color was perhaps used during the restoration. Who knows?

As usual, the Herr/ Nguyen book is a valuable resource.

Also shown is a M1850 pistol dated 1851, and marked to UR8.
                              Attached Files
                              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Fantastic thread, photos and Tschapka!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X