Franco-Prussian War Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Franco-Prussian War Display

Thought I would cobble some of my items together for a quick display. A little diversion from FJ collecting, and something new to study. 1866 dated M60 Pickelhaube marked to "II GR, 1.B, 3. C". The tunic; 2nd Guard Grenadiers. Early tunic (features of a Model 1867 with post-1874 addition of Garde Litzen), M62 Zündnadelgewehr, M62 bayonet with rare scabbard, musette bag, M1867 canteen, pair of left and right M1850 pouches to the same unit, etc.
    Attached Files
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Cool stuff, Willi - I see we have something else in common

Comment

Franco-Prussian Display

A little before my period of interest but I must say, this is an impressive little display. How long were those bayonets?

Comment

Glad you like it H.

The spike on the M62 is 20 inches. Here is a M41, the M62, a M60, and a M65. Still seeking a M41 rifle.
        Attached Files
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Franco Prussian Display

Ouch, that’s some point! I thought looking at the photo, that it was longer than the average bayonet of the time.
          Regards
          Norman

Comment

Very nice picture

Comment

great grouping of items,i really enjoy this period...………………….dave

Comment

Love the Garde stuff Willi... thanks for posting.

Chuck

Comment

Thought i would share a book which arrived today. The author places near the top in the annual "Deutsche Meisterschaft Zündnadelgewehrschießen", an event I plan on attending soon.

Great era photo!
                  Attached Files
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Some fantastic stuff Willi!

Comment

A few more items from the same era. A M57 cavalry Zündnadelgewehr dated 1870 and marked to the "1st Dragoner (Lithauen)" with a couple of M1850 pouches with black leather straps, and a M1850 percussion pistol dated 1851 and marked to the "8th Ulanen (Ostpreußen) with a Uhlan cartridge pouch and cross belt.
                      Attached Files
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Some items beyond 1871. Was thrilled to have found yesterday a Prussian artillery Model1879 Reichsrevolver pouch dated 1894 with all 18 cartridge loops intact. With a M79 Reichsrevolver dated 1887, a holster dated 1916, and a Model1883 canteen.
                        Attached Files
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

excellent display!

Comment

Very nice indeed! I have a (very) small Franco-Prussian War collection and I know how hard this stuff is to find. Well done on the pouches. If I ever get a pair I will probably have a white belt made up as they just haven't survived.

Are you certain that scabbard is for the Dreyse bayonet? I thought I read somewhere that they were issued without scabbards and carried on the rifle, which I admit did seem a bit inconvenient. Always good to learn as I'm very much an amateur in this area.

Comment

John, I am an amateur in this era as well. Only started about 6 years ago as a distraction from my primary collecting interest. One reason I go to Kassel each year is to learn from some over there.

I agree that era photos show little proof of scabbards. Most I have, or have seen, show bayonets mounted on rifles.

This 1864 photo is one exception. It appears to be a M62 bayonet and scabbard based on the shape of the socket assembly.
                              Attached Files
                              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X