The "Odd" M16 Camo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Hans
    I never knew that. I looked in my ref. and noticed Si are down as having made 64,s. I did,nt know they were so rare either! Allways willing to learn, very interesting.
    In that case cant wait for Chuck,s photos.

Cheers
    Eric

Comment

Originally posted by C. Roelens View Post
      Thanks Raymond. Is everything ok from that 7.0 earthquake over there?

Chuck
      Hey mate , yeh im up in the Noth Island , it was still a good one where we are but no damage , they got a bit down in the south though , all is good mate , take care , cheers Raymond

Comment

Originally posted by Hans K. View Post
        Eric, knowing that the odd Bell L with squared lugs occasionally shows up is important. The short flat visor, overall shape and pronounced flare of the rim are typical of Bell L helmets. The thicker than normal front liner pin heads are also unique to that maker. None of the other makers of size 64 shells came close in form, with the possible exception of some Kerkmanns.

If a Si64 shell turned up, that would be earth-shattering. It would also be puzzling that they weren't more common considering that size 64 was the most frequently issued size, followed closely by 66.
        Hans
        Hans,

I understand the characteristics of the Bell L as you described above, however; can you tell me more about the square lugs, and why it's important? The Bell L is noted for its rounded lugs and I'm not totally understanding the importance of the squared lugs.

Also, why do you think the S.i.64 is so rare?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by langemarck View Post
          congrats, I was already convinced when i saw the pics on ebay, and now it is confirmed.
          As i said before, pity he didn't send to europe
          Thank You. The seller told me that someone overseas offered him 1k for this helmet. Even before his auction ended I told him he should accept that offer and ship overseas... He still refused to do so.

Chuck

Comment

Hans,

I understand the characteristics of the Bell L as you described above, however; can you tell me more about the square lugs, and why it's important? The Bell L is noted for its rounded lugs and I'm not totally understanding the importance of the squared lugs.

Also, why do you think the S.i.64 is so rare?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck
            I was pointing out that most but not all Bell L helmets have rounded lugs. This was in answer to a question posted by Eric.

I don't think size 64 Silesia shells are rare. From my experience, they don't exist. As far as I'm aware, only Thale made shells in all sizes, and up til now I've only seen size 62 and 66 Silesia shells. If yours turns out to be a Si 64, that would be extremely exciting.

Hans

Comment

Originally posted by Hans K. View Post
              I was pointing out that most but not all Bell L helmets have rounded lugs. This was in answer to a question posted by Eric.

I don't think size 64 Silesia shells are rare. From my experience, they don't exist. As far as I'm aware, only Thale made shells in all sizes, and up til now I've only seen size 62 and 66 Silesia shells. If yours turns out to be a Si 64, that would be extremely exciting.

Hans
              got it... thanks again.

Comment

Thank You. The seller told me that someone overseas offered him 1k for this helmet. Even before his auction ended I told him he should accept that offer and ship overseas... He still refused to do so.

Chuck

don't worry, it wasn't me I always play it fair, an auction is an auction what me concerns.

PS. I never would pay such an amount for a WO1 camo neither

Comment

Chuck the Chin strap is in pretty bad shape condition wise. Would you treat something like that?

W.

Comment

Originally posted by PlaceOfBayonets View Post
                    Chuck the Chin strap is in pretty bad shape condition wise. Would you treat something like that?

W.
                    Heh W
                    Check out that stuff (ballistol) I posted in my funky bayo frog post. A friend in Germany recommended it to me. He said a lot of museums use it and its available over here. Buy some and if your gear falls apart the rest of us will know not to use it. Thanks mate.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by PlaceOfBayonets View Post

W.
                      I know, but it's solid and original to this helmet. I'll leave it just like it is. In the 80's I treated some of my leather with a "very light" coat of Pecard. It still looks good today. Some collectors will not touch this stuff anymore because they claim it left a white film on their leather over the years. That never happened to any of my leather I treated 30 years ago. IMO, if properly used on some leathers I don't see a problem.

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by 704hoss55 View Post
                        Heh W
                        Check out that stuff (ballistol) I posted in my funky bayo frog post. A friend in Germany recommended it to me. He said a lot of museums use it and its available over here. Buy some and if your gear falls apart the rest of us will know not to use it. Thanks mate.

Eric

Comment

Great Helmet, Chuck. Congratulations on aquiring it!!!

All the Best,

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by ww1czechlegion View Post
                            Great Helmet, Chuck. Congratulations on aquiring it!!!

All the Best,

Alan
                            Thanks Alan.

Comment

Chuck
                              Did you find out the maker yet. Is it a Bell-L for sure?
                              What,s thou waiting for matey?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 704hoss55 View Post
                                Chuck
                                Did you find out the maker yet. Is it a Bell-L for sure?
                                What,s thou waiting for matey?

Eric
                                Hans is correct - Bell L, with squared lugs. My apologies for the tardy response.

Chuck

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X