MYSTERY "Imperial" Shoulder Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MYSTERY "Imperial" Shoulder Boards

If Glenn doesn't know what these are, we are doomed!!!

I'm posting these for Steven up in the Vast Frozen Flatness Of Central Canada (apparently NOT quite The Great Collecting Desert, BTW ! )

These look to me like the sort of boards worn by a "Beamten-Stellvertreter" sort of person, because the braid does not extend across the entire "M1866" type boards the way they did for junior officers and the equivalent (there should still be my 1874-88 Naval Garrison Administration boards in a back page "boards" thread, if not, will repost for comparison)

Link to those boards: this post shows the boards and the next one a closeup of the devices:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...83&postcount=7

BUT!!!

Although we have the Imperial Eagle in all its flamboyant heraldic splendor... no "black-white-red" in the metallic thread and...

I have NEVER seen pips like these-- OFFICER style with TINY EAGLES in the centers!!! Beamten had ROSETTES and not this style pip.

So---

What Are They???
    Attached Files

Rick,

my inclination is to say Model 1907 boards for a Feld-Oberpostsekretär of the Kaiserlich Deutsche Feldpost. Orange piping with gold tresse, Reichs Eagle and one PIP.

Regards
    Glenn

Comment

on the boards

Well,feldpost!That IS interesting.Now ,I have to rearrange my photo collection and move the boards from my photo of German and French Askaris (with one of parties being a prisoner of the other;those that are armed are not completely in the picture,but appears the french are the prisoners.).Now that I'm finished digressing thank you for the information.I probably shouldn't communicate immediately after working as work makes me wee surviving neurons misfire.

Comment

When it rains it pours!

I picked up a similar single board at a show two weeks ago. I don't have it infront of me at the moment so I'm not sure about the actual colors. The devices are the same with the small eagle in the center of the pip. This board also came with a minature two medal lapel button. The medals depicted are a 2nd class Reserve Landswehr and a 1901 China Service.

I bought this board because I also have two of the larger eagle devices in my collection from many years back. The larger eagle devices I was told was used by officers or officials in the colonial service stationed in the African colonies and during the Boxer Rebellion in China.

Now i'm really confused on these. Can anyone show a reference that clarifies this dilema?

??????

Tony
        An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1
          Can anyone show a reference that clarifies this dilema?
          Tony
          Hi, it's the "other" Tony, the one without the 1813 EKs.

Jürgen Kraus, <i>Die Feldgrau Unifromierung des Deutsches Heers </i>, Band 2 (Vol 2) (p. 957) shows these exact boards as being <b>Dienstkleidung der Kaiserlich Deutschen Feldpost M.1907</b>.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony & Kaiser
            Hi, it's the "other" Tony, the one without the 1813 EKs.

Jürgen Kraus, <i>Die Feldgrau Unifromierung des Deutsches Heers </i>, Band 2 (Vol 2) (p. 957) shows these exact boards as being <b>Dienstkleidung der Kaiserlich Deutschen Feldpost M.1907</b>.
            Hi Tony!

I went and looked at my new board.

The board I have is idenical to the one Rick posted above except the color on mine is not orange but definately red. Would this red color suggest a different branch? The center stripe is a medium but not navy blue and the flat bullion stripes have a coppery gold tone to them.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

To paraphrase what they say in Wisconsin, Mit? or Mit out? ( about the 1813s)
            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

boards

When I found this pair ,in Hawaii of all places,there was a mangled one that was more red than mine , but had the same dark blue centre.Another variation?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1
                Hi Tony! I went and looked at my new board.
                The board I have is idenical to the one Rick posted above except the color on mine is not orange but definately red. Would this red color suggest a different branch? The center stripe is a medium but not navy blue and the flat bullion stripes have a coppery gold tone to them. Tony

To paraphrase what they say in Wisconsin, Mit? or Mit out? ( about the 1813s)

Jürgen Kraus describes them as being "orangefarben", not red. I cannot see a board so similar being different, (?) but one never knows with Imperial. With pre-war visors caps and straps, I usually throw it off to dye-lots if darker, fading if brighter, etc.

Uh...I am happy not having any 1813s, but searching for some maker marked 1914 EK1s is tougher than I expected! I have a new appreciation for what some of you have accumulated. T

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X