• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manfred soon learned the name of his last victim, he wrote to his mother;

Squadron Boelke,
    Nov. 25, 1916

Liebe Mamma:
    Accept my most sincere congratulations for you birthday. I trust this will be your last birthday in wartime.
    My eleventh Britisher was Major Hawker, twenty-six years old and commander of an English squadron. According to prisoners' accounts he was the English Boelke.
    He gave me the hardest fight I have experienced so far, until I finally succeeded in getting him down....Unhappily, we lost our commander three days ago, and eight days ago a plane of our squadron was brought down.
    Manfred

Comment

100 years ago today Richtofen scored his 12th. victory.

Dec. 11, 1916, on the Somme; Vickers 1; unidentified occupant.

Comment

The Baron shot another double 100 years ago today.

Victory #13 Dec. 20, 1916, on the Somme; Vickers 1; unidentified occupant.

Victory #14 Dec. 20, 1916, on the Somme; Vickers 1; unidentified occupant.

Comment

100 years ago yesterday Richthofen shot down his 15th. enemy plane.

Dec. 27, 1916, on the Somme; F.E. 2; two unidentified occupants.

Comment

100 years ago today Manfred wrote a letter to his mother.

On the Somme
            Dec. 28, 1916

Liebe Mamma;
            Papa and Lothar were with me on Christmas Day. It was a memorable holiday. There is more fun to such a Christmas in the field than you at home would think.
            Our celebrations consisted of a Christmas tree and an excellent dinner. On the next day, Lothar went up alone for the first time, an event only equaled by the first victory.
            Yesterday(December 27th), I downed my fifteenth Britisher after I had shot my second double two days before Christmas, Numbers 13 and 14.

Manfred

Comment

The Baron claimed his 16th. victory 100 years ago today.

Jan. 4, 1917; on the Somme; Sopwith 2; two unidentified occupants.

He was now the best living air fighter in service to Germany. "He was the ace of German aces."

The Flying Uhlan's work thus far:

Killed; 16
              Wounded or Made Prisoner of War; 8
              Total Casualties Inflicted; 24
              Enemy Planes Destroyed; 16

Comment

Sorry Lads, too busy here, missed a couple.

Kill #17 Jan.23,1917; S.W. of Lens; F.E. 1; Second Lieutenant John Hay, killed.

Kill #18 Jan. 24, 1917; W. of Vimy; F.E. 2; Captain O. Grieg, pilot, and Second Lieutenant J.E. Maclenon, observer, both wounded and made prisoners.

Comment

The flying Uhlan shot down his 19th enemy plane 100 years ago today.

Feb. 1, 1917; S.W. of Thelus; B. E. 2; Lieutenant P.W. Murray, pilot, and Lieutenant T.D. McRae, observer, both died of wounds on Feb. 2.

Comment

The Baron shot another double 100 years ago today. Love was not in the air that Valentine's day. A bad day for English artillery observers.

Kill #20 Feb. 14, 1917, Lens Hulluck road, W. of Loos; B. E. 2; Lieutenant C. D. Bennet, pilot, wounded and made prisoner, and Second Lieutenant H. H. Croft, observer, killed.

Kill # 21 Feb. 14, 1917, S. W. of Mazingarbe; B. E. 2; two unidentified occupants probably escaped uninjured behind the British lines.

Comment

The Baron has spent the last weeks in study of English flying tactics. Large formations in tight. Now, as Bloody March starts, he with his Staffel always number at least 20 machines. Woe be unto the enemy who falls behind. He is about to become the "Bloody Red Baron".

Comment

100 years ago today Manfred made his first contribution to Bloody March. He shot another double.

Kill # 22 Mar. 4, 1917, Acheville; Sopwith 2; Lieutenant H. J. Green, pilot, and Lieutenant William Reed, observer, both killed.

Kill # 23 Mar. 4, 1917, N. of Loos; B.E. 2; Pilot Sergeant R. J. Moody, and Second Lieutenant E. E. Horn, observer, both killed.

Comment

There was confusion about Richthofen's 24th. victory 100 years ago.

Kill # 24 Mar. 3 or 6, 1917, Souchez; B. E. 2; mistake; no English casualty records.

He was flying with Lieutenant Allmanroeder, a credible witness, when the wings of the plane he was attacking "came off", and "broke on the ground". This was behind the English lines. In the records it was credited some days later as Mar. 3. Manfred recorded it as Mar. 6.

Comment

There was another sort of double shot 100 years ago today. The Baron's good luck held out.

Kill #25 Mar. 9, 1917; between Roelincourt and Bailleul; DeHaviland 1; Lieutenant A. J. Pearson, killed.

However, Pearson's marksmanship was good. During the fight he hit Richthofen's engine and both petrol tanks. Manfred was quick to shut down the engine. He was lucky not to burn. He dead sticked it down from 9000 ft. to land behind German lines. The Germans who came to his aid did not recognize him, until he climbed out of his flight suit. The Pour le Merite around his neck got their attention. Here was Richthofen! They took him to their mess and feasted him with oysters and champagne.

Comment

It was 100 years ago that Manfred got his 26th. victory.

Mar. 11, 1917, S. of La Folie Forest, near Vimy; B. E. 2; Lieutenant E. Byrne, observer, and Second Lieutenant John Smith, pilot, both killed.

Comment

Richthofen shot another double 100 years ago today.

Kill # 27 Mar. 17, 1917, Oppy; Vickers 2; Lieutenant A. E. Boultbee, pilot, and Air Mechanic F. King, observer, both killed.

Kill# 28 Mar. 17, 1917, W. of Vimy; B. E. 2, Second Lieutenant G. M. Watt, pilot, and Sergeant F. A. Howlett, observer, both killed.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X