This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 years ago today

Over the last few months Manfred von Richthofen had been honing his flying skills. He also survived another crash.
    100 years ago today Manfred got his first confirmed kill.

Sept. 17, 1916, near Cambrai; Vickers 2 (I. e. two seater); Second Lieutenant L. B. F. Morris, pilot, and Lieutenant T. Rees, observer, both died of wounds.

He would go on to repeat this 79 more times over the next 19 months.

One of his the Barons victims 1914/15 British star went for £945 on ebay last week. I think he was number 56 in the list.

It shows just how collectable his victims medals are

Jim

Comment

Thank you Coburg. In my source, THE RED KNIGHT OF GERMANY, by Floyd Gibbons, 1927, there is some confusion about #56. The High Command may have switched #55 and #56, perhaps delays in paperwork. He did get credit for each victory. Yes, the Bloody Baron really did make a lot of history. I don't think I could bring myself to spend 945 Quid on a medal. I'll have to look one up to see it. Gotta love this hobby.

Comment

I deleted the link so I can`t confirm the number of 56. What i can remember is that the victim was a spotter for the Royal Artillery, according to the ebay listing anyway

Comment

Richthofen's second victory. Sept. 23, 1916, on the Somme; Martinsyde 1(i.e. one -seater); unidentified occupant.

Manfred had 19 unidentified victims. Twelve were killed and 7 wounded or made prisoners of war.

Comment

Manfred's third kill. Sept. 30, 1916, on the Somme; Vickers 2; two unidentified occupants shot down in flames, killed.

Comment

The date of Richthofen's 4th. kill has been lost to the ages. It was on the Somme; D.D. 2; two unidentified occupants.

Comment

The Baron scored his 5th. victory on Oct. 16, 1916. On the Somme; B. E. 1; unidentified occupant.

Comment

Oct. 16, 1916, in the same clash Manfred also gets his sixth kill. On the Somme; B. E. 1; unidentified occupant.

Comment

The Baron got his 7th victory 100 years ago. Nov. 2, 1916, on the Somme; Vickers 2; two unidentified occupants.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilhelm View Post
                      The date of Richthofen's 4th. kill has been lost to the ages. It was on the Somme; D.D. 2; two unidentified occupants.
                      According to The Aerodrome:

4. Kill. Date: 07 Oct 1916, Time: 09:10, Opponent: B.E.12 (6618), Location: Near Equancourt

Comment

Thank you Miro O! What a great Forum.

Comment

Manfred got his eighth kill 100 years ago today. Flying an Albatross and leading the Boelcke Jagdstaffel at 12,000 feet.

November 9, 1916, near Laignicourt; B.E. 2; Second Lieutenant J.G. Cameron, observer, died of wounds, Lieutenant G.F. Knight, pilot, made prisoner.

Comment

Manfred was perfecting his skills. He "shot a double" 100 years ago today.

Kill #9 Nov. 20,1916, on the Somme; Vickers 2; two unidentified occupants.

Kill #10 Nov. 20, 1916, on the Somme; B. E. 1; unidentified occupant.

He had a jeweler in Berlin who was making silver cups with the info. of each victory engraved on them. Richtofen instructed him to make number 10 twice as big. As a hunter he loved his trophies.

Comment

100 years ago today Manfred fought an epic duel. His opponent was the top ace of the Royal Flying Corps. Major Lanoe George Hawker,V.C., D.S.O.,R.E.,R.F.C.
                              The Baron did not know the name of this foe, but the air fight was grueling. When it was over Richthofen had 11 kills.

Victory #11. Nov. 23, 1916, between Bapaume and Albert; Vickers 1; Major George Lanoe Hawker, killed.

When news of this reached Germany the people rejoiced. Manfred was becoming a hero.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X