Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK2 1870 repaired

Hi everyone

Just recieved this beautiful piece, bought recently on the e-stand, but was totally disappointed to find out that it has been repaired, which wasn't mentioned in the sales thread, but as you will see on the pics hardly something a experienced collector should overlook.

Is it an original 1870 frame or 1914 frame?

4-5 sides of the cross arms are more or less open and two sides has had what I interpret as old repairs, if not period. The resoldering was not IMO meant to desieve as they are very sloppy with soldering spilled on the visible upper right cross arm. The intact arms is IMO unmessed with, leading me to this cross frame being original to the cross.

What is a repaired cross worth?

I wanted an unrepaired cross but are thinking about keeping it, not daring it being lost on its way back to the seller, but think a huge discount is in order. I'm new 1870 EK's but my guess is that it's worth 1/4 - 1/3 of the 500 Euros I paid, what do you think it's worth in today's market? Is it sellable at all?

Help appreciated

Cheers Thomas
    Attached Files

Obv
    Attached Files

Comment

F
      Attached Files

Comment

R
        Attached Files

Comment

H
          Attached Files

Comment

Solder on the front of ipper right cross arm.
            Attached Files

Comment

M
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

I think I see the alphabet frame, see here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=shared+frames

For 500 euro's crosses in a better state (unrepaired) can be found. I do however like the looks on this one, but 500 is too much. When the repairs are done no-one knows.

kind regards,
                Michel

Comment

the repair is not a jeweler,,,,,,,,,,,,,or period repair .

value ? ,,,,,,,,,,,,250 euro max ,,,,including shipment .

the amateur soldering repair is not a thing a seller should overlook......

who sold it to you ?

regards kay
                  Last edited by Montgomery Burns; 06-25-2016, 07:15 AM.

Comment

The seller should have disclosed the fact that the frame was repaired.

Frame repairs (especially on the upper 12 o'clock arm) are quite common on
                    1870 crosses. Your cross is still sellable and collectable. We even have a thread
                    here somewhere that shows our repaired crosses.

Here in the states, this cross would sell easily for 400 Euro and 500 would not
                    really be out of the question.

Comment

No Greg ,,,I disagree

the reality is different ..............

we do like repaired crosses around here,,,throe ,,,also have threads of them .

BUT SUCH CROSSES WE LIKE ARE JEWELER REPAIRED CROSSES

and not local blob garage soldering as on this one ...

400 /500 is the price for a good ek 1870 with no issues ,,,
                      and they are found here on the E stand ,,,,
                      a repair like this one 250 max ,,,sure ,,,,a personal view of myself ,,
                      a nice jeweler repair would hold the price of a cross not repaired ,
                      ,even more expensive as it is sure valued like a cross worn and taken care of by a vet ...

K
                      Last edited by Montgomery Burns; 06-25-2016, 08:26 AM.

Comment

and for the record,,,

I can tell you the exact specific soldering methods they had in period times
                        I can tell you the specific materials and mixtures they would have used .
                        I can tell you wy that frame opened before it was repaired .

I can even tell you wy the 12 o clock jeweler repairs where done in the specific way they are always showing up with.
                        not to speak of the ek1 enhancements we see so often

I ca even tell you WY especially the 1870 ek2 where soldered on the ring,,,,
                        only on one side,,,,

it is 100 % sure that the blobs you see between the 2 frames are no jeweler repair and not a veteran or field repair of period times .

regards kay

Comment

ps thomas ,,,check if the core of the cross is stepped

because I think it is ,,,,,it makes the repair Les disappointing and maybe that cross a keeper fore you're collection ,,,,

regards kay
                          Last edited by Montgomery Burns; 06-25-2016, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys for all of your fantastic help! Core is unfortunately not stepped.

Seller has offered full refund and return shipping. I choose to bellieve him when he say he had not seen the repair.

Cheers Thomas

Comment

well,,,,,,,,,, all is well then .

such a pity its not a stepped core ,,,

good of the seller to refund......

regards kay

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X