Are these bars believable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these bars believable?

The enlisted trios thread triggered this question. I know these types of NCO bars (with at least three different awards from three different states) have been frowned upon in the past. However, their construction is convincing, they smell right, and they don't glow. What do you guys think?

The first...

Prussian Iron Cross 2nd Class 1914Saxon Friedrich August Medal
    Saxe-Meiningen Medal for Merit in War
    1914-1918 Honor Cross with Swords
    Austrian Commemorative Medal 1914-1918
    Hungarian Commemorative Medal 1914-1918
    Bulgarian Commemorative Medal 1914-1918
    Attached Files

1. Reverse...
    Attached Files

Comment

The second...

Prussian Iron Cross 2nd Class 1914
      Saxon Medal of the Military Order of St. Henry
      Saxon Friedrich August Medal
      OldenburgFriedrich August Cross 2nd Class
      1914-1918 Honor Cross with Swords
      Hungarian Commemorative Medal 1914-1918

Attached Files

Comment

2. Reverse...
        Attached Files

Comment

Brian................

I don't see anything wrong with either of these. They look fine to me.

Comment

Look ok to me too. The Saxe Meinigen one is one I have seen before-twice. One had provenance (i.e. the docs)-to an NCO mechanic type at a Jasta Abt./ Also, Saxe Meinigen gave these out to NCO gunners in aircraft and I have seen them as awarded to NCOs in artillery units.
            Also, while still very rare, the St. henry's Golden medal book lists a few NCOs who also got additional states' awards.

Comment

Why does the Bulgarian commemorative medal ribbon have swords? Is this normal? The medal itself does not have swords. Do these swords indicate a Bravery medal, too? Or they are some German addition to the ribon?
              The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

Originally posted by Theodor
                Why does the Bulgarian commemorative medal ribbon have swords? Is this normal? The medal itself does not have swords. Do these swords indicate a Bravery medal, too? Or they are some German addition to the ribon?
                Theo, the germans loved it to add swords to nearly all wartime medals they received. The more, the better.

The bars look fine to me too. Nice pieces, Brian

best,
                Gerd

Comment

Thanks!
                  The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

Originally posted by Theodor
                    Neither the Hungarian nor the Bulgarian ones should have swords, as non-combatant versions of their commemorative medals have different ribbons. But as Gerd notes, Germans put swords on a lot of these anyway.

Comment

No problem here!

I see awards from not more than 2 German states by the side of the EK.
                      Questionable (and mostly fakes) are just bars with collections of NCO awards from nearly whole Germany.

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

As an aside........

Daniel's key to remember is NCO/Enlisted..... not likely.
                        Officer's Bars can and do often have more than 3 states....

Comment

Guys-

Thanks for the feedback and info. Admittedly, I have found this subject to be a bit confusing. I would get nervous about a bar if it appeared to be awarded to an NCO and had at three states (counting the EK). Now I see that the thing to remember is to not count the Iron Cross when judging the the number of states.

Thanks again,
                          Brian

Comment

All,
                            The addition of the Hungarian, Austrian and Bulgarian ribbons brings up a question for me. Perhaps this has been answered elsewhere, but why to some bars have one, two or three of these ribbons? What makes the difference? Did one have to serve in conjunction with the wartime formations of these countries to get their commemorative medals awarded? What are the chances of having served with all three?

Thanks,
                            Chip

Comment

Chip-

Any German WWI vet could have worn one or all of the Central Power Commemorative medals. They needed only to apply for them and were then able to wear them proudly, sometimes to "pad" a shorter bar. As far as I know, only the Tyrolian Commemorative Medal was limited to soldiers who actually served in that area.

Brian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X