Adler der Ritter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adler der Ritter

Came across this beauty a while back and I've since neglected to post about it, can anybody give me the history of this medal? From what I understand it was the highest civilian award of the German imperial kingdom.

And the reverse

Anyone know where I can find a replica for the display case? (this ones going in the safe!)

Thanks for any feedback,
    Bertolt Brecht

Hi Bertolt,

These are sort of in the family of the Hohenzollern House Order and came in four classes: Großkomtur (OEK 1794/3), Komtur (1794/4-5), Ritter (1794/6-7) and Inhaber (1795). The Inhaber is not enameled and is very commonly known as the "teacher's award" because it was often awarded to low-level civil servants. The higher classes are very rare.

Originals of the Ritter class (yours) should be made of hollow gold. Before 1870 the reverse was not enameled, after 1870 it was.

Here is a very fine and rare original auctioned by Andreas Thies is 2012:

Adler der Ritter_o.jpg

There are decent fakes made in silver gilt and many fall for them.

Here is a discussion of one such piece, complete with photos, one of which I will copy here:

Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
      Hi Bertolt,

These are sort of in the family of the Hohenzollern House Order and came in four classes: Großkomtur (OEK 1794/3), Komtur (1794/4-5), Ritter (1794/6-7) and Inhaber (1795). The Inhaber is not enameled and is very commonly known as the "teacher's award" because it was often awarded to low-level civil servants. The higher classes are very rare.

Originals of the Ritter class (yours) should be made of hollow gold. Before 1870 the reverse was not enameled, after 1870 it was.

Here is a very fine and rare original auctioned by Andreas Thies is 2012:

[ATTACH]3247505[/ATTACH]

There are decent fakes made in silver gilt and many fall for them.

Here is a discussion of one such piece, complete with photos, one of which I will copy here:

now it makes sense as to why it's so light in the hand, a later version regrettably, never the less a nice piece. About what are they worth?

Comment

Sorry Bertolt, I wouldn't know how to put a price on yours.

The authentic, hollow gold example shown above sold for just over $5K after commission and exchange in 2012.
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X