• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adler der Ritter (Eagle of the Knight)

[ATTACH]1738135[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1738136[/ATTACH]

Hi guys!
    Just received this Adler der Ritter and know less than -0- about them. Overall she looks in pretty good condition and I think she's a very attractive award!
    Please let me know your thoughts and why/how were they awarded? I'm still trying to find a very good reference book (hopefully in English) to learn Imperial orders.
    Thanks for the thoughts!
    If anyone has a case they's sell PLEASE let me know!
    Greg
    Adler der Ritter 016.jpg

Adler der Ritter 021.jpg

Comment

Home

Order History

Beauty of Old Orders

German Orders
      (Various Reviews)

Orders of Knighthood
      as Investment

Knowledge of Orders

Adaptation - in honor
      of my grandfather

Contact

The Prussian House Order of Hohenzollern: The Eagle of the Knights

Issued in 1851, the House Order of Hohenzollern always had a special position among the Prussian orders. The highest grade was awarded to bearer's of the Prussian Black Eagle Order only. The knights cross with swords is considered to be equivalent to the German Cross in gold (III.Reich). Being so dominant within the regular grades the Eagle decorations seem almost forgotten.

Yet, they seem to be much more interesting and definitely rarer than the "regular" crosses. During their complete awarding period they have almost only been awarded to either citizen in teaching positions or priests. Not enough with this. The eagles were more or less given to retirees for their dedicated and honorable service to the Prussian state.

Besides the Eagle of the Bearers, a plain silver eagle badge with just enameled Hohenzollern coat of arms, there are the Eagle decorations for the Knights and Commanders.

I like to take the opportunity to write a few words about the Eagle of the Knight, since I just bought one for my collection. I actually bought the Eagle decoration together with a Red Eagle Order 4th class last model including their matching miniatures. All pieces came right out of Germany from a widow named Mrs. Ziegler (maiden name: Lauffer, born in 1904). The errands unfortunately weren't able to tell me anything about those orders. We can only speculate about the history of these pieces, but do know that the Red Eagle Order was given for long service as well as the Eagle of the Knight. In this case maybe a teacher, maybe director of a school, was lucky enough to be awarded the Red Eagle in time of service, but received the Eagle decoration, following general practice, with his call to retirement.

The early Eagle badges made by Hossauer are crafted in a very pretty 3-dimensional manner and are only enameled on the front side. The Hossauer makers mark is easily to find on those badges. Pieces made after the Hossauer period are generally flat and enameled on both sides. Original decorations made before 1918 are based on gold are incredibly hollow constructed. The resulting weight is rather light. Normally between 7 and 9 grams. Those badges show an incredible workmanship as shown on the pictures here.

Only 485 pieces were awarded between 1851 and 1918, equal to only 7 badges per year. Since the recipients were men receiving only lower to mid income the likelihood of acquiring a piece for commemorative purposes for 81 Mark is doubtful. The errands were normally not able to afford a piece like this. In addition to this, the piece had to be returned to the Prussian Orders Commission by law.

The eagle badges are certainly a highlight of any Prussian collection and extremely hard to acquire.

For comparison a Eagle of the Bearers (Equivalent size to the Eagle of the Knights):

Comment

The previous posting was copied off a website that had several photos that for some reason did not show up. I'll go back and get the web site so you can see them and maybe figure out a way to post them here.

Comment

Here it is: http://www.medalnet.net/Eagle_of_the_Knights.htm

Comment

Thank you VERY much! Great info! So mine looks like a later non-gold solid piece.
            Appreciate it!
            Greg

Comment

Greg, that's a nice and relatively rare awardAs you probably know, they came in Member, Knight and Commander grades, for civil merit. I have a Member's Eagle in the case, and think they are under-appreciated.

Comment

Thanks Vince! I picked it up as I think it is a very attractive award, would love to find a case. Off on a hunt!
                Appreciate it!!
                Greg

Comment

Originally posted by VtwinVince View Post
                  I have a Member's Eagle in the case, and think they are under-appreciated.
                  Let's see it

Nice Adler Greg . Is the enamel blue?
                  Best regards,
                  Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post

Nice Adler Greg . Is the enamel blue?
                    The emamel around the eagles head with the inscription is blue & black (or very dark blue) on the wings & shield.
                    Thanks Trevor!

Let's see that cased set!!!

Thanks!
                    Greg

Comment

They were awarded to women as well.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here you go. I had this one kicking around for years, until an esteemed member offered to get it reunited with its nestI also have an award document somewhere for this award, made out to a school teacher I believe.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by aff96 View Post
                          Thank you VERY much! Great info! So mine looks like a later non-gold solid piece.
                          Appreciate it!
                          Greg
                          Sorry Greg, but odds are pretty bad one yours. I agree it is a later one, non-gold and solid, which places it rather in 1970s and 80s as in 1917/18. In my opinion, it is fake. While real ones, like Andreas', are hardly ever seen, these are flooding the market. As well as in the higher grade, as neck decoration.

Originally posted by Wild Card View Post
                          They were awarded to women as well.
                          Sorry to disagree, but from what I've read - no, no awards to women. But some guys are known to wear their awards on bows.

sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

Originally posted by saschaw View Post
                            Sorry Greg, but odds are pretty bad one yours. I agree it is a later one, non-gold and solid, which places it rather in 1970s and 80s as in 1917/18. In my opinion, it is fake. While real ones, like Andreas', are hardly ever seen, these are flooding the market. As well as in the higher grade, as neck decoration.

Sorry to disagree, but from what I've read - no, no awards to women. But some guys are known to wear their awards on bows.

Sorry I must say that, but Sascha have in both points right! ;o(

I think the Eagle of the Knight is from Raritätensammlerclub.

Regards Mike

Comment

Its sad, but true what Sascha wrote, a copy. I dont guess that it is from www.ordensammler.com , i guess this copy is elder.

Regards
                              Markus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X