No announcement yet.

Für Rettung Aus Gefahr: Prussian Lifesaving Medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, officers of senior rank got it the Lifesaving ribbon on the Red Eagle Order 4th Class-- or someone who had the LSM, CO4 on LSM ribbon, for a THIRD incredible award got the REO4 on LSM ribbon. I dimly recall seeing someone who had the Red Eagle 3rd Class with Bow on the LSM ribbon, back in an 18XX Rangliste!

If they were of below officer status, 2nd award on LSM ribbon was the Prussian Silver General Decoration Medal, with a THIRD award of LSM ribbon on Cross of the General Decoration.

As a rough average, over time, it seems like about 50 a year were awarded. Those may have bunched up more with the early "1925" version awards, since delayed applications as far back as 1914 (for people in the Colonies) and from 1919-25 (NO medals awarded) had to be processed.

These are, in my opinion, SERIOUSLY UNDERVALUED awards. Aside from the heroism required to get one, it seems that because the medals are tiny and "unimpressive" looking, they have too long been spurned by collectors.

Buy any while you can! i

Comment

Yes, I know its the wrong war, but here is the bar of a German cross in gold winner, it comes before the service medals on his bar.
      Attached Files

Comment

And just to show how highly thought of the award was, other than an award doc from Adolf, he also got a special Annerkenungs letter (for the rescue act) and congratulations for the medal... from the chief of the Army! A knights cross winner should be so lucky !!
        Attached Files

Comment

Thats a nice grouping! Congratulations!

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

To turn the attention 100% away from imperial...here it is

Comment

ok, HEEEEERE !
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi everyone:

I just got in the mail today from Detlev a lovely example of the second 1833 type medal - with the spelling K?nig instead of Koenig. What a beautiful yet tiny medal with fully reflective surfaces! Does anyone know roughly when the spelling changed to K?nig? I would at least like to narrow down the time period...

Thanks!
                Eric S.

Comment

I´´m not sure but I think it was sometime around 1860/1870 or even earlier.

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Here are some larger closeups in light of Claudio's M1937 thread going on over in the General Wehrmacht Forum

I can only get the fronts because these are the the two mounted in my groups.

M1833 with spelling "König" and lttle flower petal asterisk up top.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The medal above is silver. I have never seen any Royal Prussian Lifesaving Medal that was NOT silver.

Here's the M1926 with its ugly flew-into-a-truck-windshield flattened off-centered eagle. It still retains most of the original frosted "proof" coin finish, which makes me unsure whether this is actually silver or a base metal plated.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Just got this nice little ribbon-bar with EKII 1914, Prussian Rettungsmedaille and Centenarmedaille:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Any bar with one of these is a prize!

Comment

Hi Jens,

nice and rare small find! Congratulations!

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Here's one on German ebay - "Buy it Now" for 105 Euro. It looks quite new and is for sale by "antikvoss" so I am skeptical.

Comments?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...category=34651

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X