No announcement yet.

A Saxon Baron in Maximiliano's Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The history of the multi-national Imperial Mexican Army is highly interesting and not yed deeply researched.

In my collection of Imperial Austrian awards, I've recently added a group of orders, decorations and papers, belonged to a former Modenese (from the Duchy of Modena, ruled by the house of Habsburg-Este) cavalry officer who, after the fall of this former Italian state, entered in the Austrian cavalry, then left for the Mexican "adventure", becoming Senior Lieutenant in the Lancers of the "Cuerpo de Voluntarios Austro-Belgas".

During his service in Emperor Maximilian's Army, he received the Knight's Cross of the Guadalupe Order (the letter, accompanying the award document, informs that the order was decerned "...por su bizarria y valoroso comportamiento en el combate de Ahuacatlan, el 17 de Julio (1865)"; more, the Bronze Medal for Military Merit (award document dated April 10th, 1865), and the French Medal for the Mexican Campaign.

After the fall of the Mexican Empire, he returned to Austria, actively serving as an Oberleutnant in the 9th Dragoon Regiment "FML Prinz zu Solms-Brannenfels", eventually dying in Strussow, on March 3rd, 1874 "...im 31. Lebensjahre nach langer Krankheit...".

E.L.

Comment

Hello again,

I think that the second medal worn by the man in the picture posted at the beginning of this thread, could be the Imperial Mexican Medal for Military Merit ("Medalla del Merito Militar"), awarded in the gold, silver and bronze grades. The military ribbon was red.

Best wishes,

E.L.

Comment

Hi E.L.

Thanks for you comments on this posting, any chance to see some photos of your grouping? I would really like to see the document for the Guadalupe Order...

Larry

Comment

I will post some pictures as soon as possible!

E.L.

Comment

I know that this is an old thread.
            Very nice to see, thank you!

As I'm collection imperial mexican items is there any chance to see the other grouping? (Your inbox is full)

Best regards!

Comment

Email sent!

Best,

E.L.

Comment

Yes a cool thread!

Comment

A pure research Example. Excellent thread.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X