Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Saxon Baron in Maximiliano's Service

Greetings All

I wanted to share with you this interesting and rather intriguing CDV photograph which I purchased today at a local Antique Market while attending their monthly parking lot sale. By all rights I didn’t deserve to own this little piece of history as I had glanced at it last Summer, didn’t recognize it for what it was and passed on it thinking it was too expensive at 40 dollars. Since there wasn’t too much at the market today, I gave this little photo a closer look, realized what the medals were on his chest and decided to purchase the photo. I laid the money on the counter and put him in my pocket, I was lucky.

The image portrays a young Saxon Officer, seated, with his shako resting on a table next to his right arm, a saber rests against his leg and on his chest he wears three decorations, the Imperial Mexican Order of Guadalupe, an unknown medal and the French medal for the Campaign in Mexico.

I don’t intend to mislead here, the medals shown with the Saxon CDV are not the officer’s medals, rather type examples from our own collection. The French Mexican Campaign medal is fairly easy to come by with decent examples appearing on Ebay.Fr quite regularly. The Order of Guadalupe, especially in the military line, is quite a different matter. The Civil and Military versions are near identical, with the main difference being the motto on the reverse. The military version reads “Al Patriotismo Heroico” and the civil version “Al Merito Y Virtudes”. I count myself fortunate in having both a civil and military type in our collection at present. This, the military version, is produced in silver-gilt, displays delicate, beautiful quality enameling and its amazingly intact original ribbon. To be sure it shows scattered enamel chipping and minor damage from age and wear, but I think still displays a certain charm in spite of the damage.

The Order of Guadalupe was reinstituted by Emperor Ferdinand Maximilian I, younger brother of Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria, who was placed on the throne of Mexico by the forces of Napoleon III of France in 1864. It was awarded in several classes, in both civil and military versions. This officer wears the military order, Knight class, which was limited to only 500 recipients.

Emperor Maximilian, his wife Empress Carlota (Princess Charlote of Belgium) his brother Emperor Franz-Joseph and Napoleon III of France
    The French Intervention in Mexico is an amazing story and this little article will barely scratch the surface of it‘s telling. It’s dramatic ending resulted in the executions by firing squad of Emperor Maximilian and his loyal Generals Miramon & Mejia on the 19th of June 1867.

The site of the execution, Quertero Mexico, postcard circa 1900
    During Maximiliano’s brief reign, volunteer legions from Belgium, Austria and other European countries served in the Imperial Mexican Army while fighting the forces of the Mexican Republican Army under President Benito Juarez . Other individual European volunteers served as well, with one of the most famous being the former Union Army General, Prussian Prince Felix Salm-Salm and his American wife Agnes Leclerc Joy. She was a soldiers wife, brave as any man and saw service with her husband in three wars. Our young Saxon officer was certainly another of these volunteers, who evidently survived this experience and arrived back home in time for the 1870-71 war with France.

Prince Felix Salm-Salm, shown here in the uniform of a Union Army Colonel during the American Civil War

The image was taken by the C.Engelmann photographers studio, who operated photography studios in Dresden and Frieberg Saxony in the mid 19th century. The reverse of the image shows an elaborate photographers backmark, typical for the era and a dedication dated 2/3/69 written in a cursive script. At first go I was having difficulty in making out the names written in the dedication on the reverse of the cdv. After a bit of study, the name in the third line became clear to me as Von Munchhausen. The other name however still remains indecipherable to me.

Now with a name, I looked in my copy of the 1871 Rank List for the Royal Saxon Army for a Munchhausen. There were two, but the most important one appeared on page 29 which lists the officers for the 5th Saxon Infantry Regiment, Prince Friedrich-August Nr.104, there he was, Secondlieutenant Freiherr August Friedrich Christian von Munchhausen, who received his patent on the 24th of April 1867. Listed below his name were the abbreviations for the awards he had received thus far in his career; Akrd, MGR & PEK2 (Albert Order Knights Class with Swords, Imperial Mexican Order of Guadalupe Knight Grade and the Prussian Iron Cross 2nd Class).

Knowing that he had served in the Franco-Prussian War where he was awarded the Iron Cross, I once more turned to the library and pulled off the shelf Vols I &II of the German General Staff Report on the Franco-Prussian War 1870-1871. Each of the five volumes has an appendix which provides a wealth of information, orders of battle and the casualties incurred by every German unit engaged with the officers being listed by last name. During the 1870-71 War the Saxon contingent comprised the XIIth Corps of the II nd Army under the command of HRH Prince Friedrich Charles. In volume II the appendix lists the casualties for both the Prussian Ist and II nd armies during the Battle of Gravelotte-St..Privat on August 18 1870. In the column for the 104th Saxon Infantry, there was our young Baron von Munchhausen, listed as wounded in action. During this battle the 104th regiment took part in the assault and capture of the French village of St.Marie aux Chenes, perhaps it was here that he received his wound. He certainly fared better than another Mexican Intervention veteran and fellow recipient of the Order of Guadalupe, Prince Felix Salm-Salm, who was mortally wounded while leading the Fusilier Battalion of the 4th Guard Grenadiers during the Prussian Guard’s assault up the long slope before St.Privat.

The assault on St.Privat by the Guard Corps, Saxon XII Corps Monument at St.Privat

Typical Saxon Infantryman circa 1870, Prince Friedrich-Charles Commander of the 2nd Army in 1870, the image dates from 1864 during the war with Denmark, note the cannonball beneath his foot
    Thanks for hanging in there with me on this guys, I apologize for the photo sizing issues. Had to start over a few times while trying to keep everything lined up right. This was a fun little project for me and I hope that you found it entertaining.

Just goes to show the secrets which are there for us to unlock
    with a little digging.

Cheers

Larry

Super interesting. A case very well presented and not the usual stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Lucky indeed! Beautiful and historical collection !
      Thank you for this super interesting post.
      Vellocino

Comment

Great story, beautifully presented Congrats and thank you.
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

The inscription on the back basically says:

Herrn Fraser in friendly memory to von Munchhausen, Ser. Lt. (Sergeant Leutnant??)

Comment

Here it is a link for a listing of the French document for the Commemorative medal of the expedition to Mexico.
            No at clue if it is a real doc but for those interested it might be a good lead.
            http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Certificat-De...item27ee310288

Vellocino

Comment

Very interesting and an excellent presentation.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Wild Card

Comment

GREAT reaserch !!! Amazing story !!!

Very interesting thread, and a very good find (cdv)

Many thanks for sharing with us

Comment

I really like these kinds of threads.
                  Nicely done.

Comment

[QUOTE=Larry Stewart;6634340]Greetings All

I wanted to share with you this interesting and rather intriguing CDV photograph which I purchased today at a local Antique Market while attending their monthly parking lot sale. By all rights I didn’t deserve to own this little piece of history as I had glanced at it last Summer, didn’t recognize it for what it was and passed on it thinking it was too expensive at 40 dollars. Since there wasn’t too much at the market today, I gave this little photo a closer look, realized what the medals were on his chest and decided to purchase the photo. I laid the money on the counter and put him in my pocket, I was lucky.

The image portrays a young Saxon Officer, seated, with his shako resting on a table next to his right arm, a saber rests against his leg and on his chest he wears three decorations, the Imperial Mexican Order of Guadalupe, an unknown medal and the French medal for the Campaign in Mexico.

I don’t intend to mislead here, the medals shown with the Saxon CDV are not the officer’s medals, rather type examples from our own collection. The French Mexican Campaign medal is fairly easy to come by with decent examples appearing on Ebay.Fr quite regularly. The Order of Guadalupe, especially in the military line, is quite a different matter. The Civil and Military versions are near identical, with the main difference being the motto on the reverse. The military version reads “Al Patriotismo Heroico” and the civil version “Al Merito Y Virtudes”. I count myself fortunate in having both a civil and military type in our collection at present. This, the military version, is produced in silver-gilt, displays delicate, beautiful quality enameling and its amazingly intact original ribbon. To be sure it shows scattered enamel chipping and minor damage from age and wear, but I think still displays a certain charm in spite of the damage.

The Order of Guadalupe was reinstituted by Emperor Ferdinand Maximilian I, younger brother of Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria, who was placed on the throne of Mexico by the forces of Napoleon III of France in 1864. It was awarded in several classes, in both civil and military versions. This officer wears the military order, Knight class, which was limited to only 500 recipients.

Emperor Maximilian of Mexico, his wife Empress Carlotta (formerly the Princess Charlotte of Belgium), his brother Emperor Franz-Joseph of Austria, Emperor Napoleon III of France

The French Intervention in Mexico is an amazing story and this little article will barely scratch the surface of it‘s telling. It’s dramatic ending resulted in the executions by firing squad of Emperor Maximilian and his loyal Generals Miramon & Mejia on the 19th of June 1867.

The execution site at Queretaro Mexico, Generals Miguel Miramon and Tomas Mejia

During Maximiliano’s brief reign, volunteer legions from Belgium, Austria and other European countries served in the Imperial Mexican Army while fighting the forces of the Mexican Republican Army under President Benito Juarez . Other individual European volunteers served as well, with one of the most famous being the former Union Army General, Prussian Prince Felix Salm-Salm and his American wife Agnes Leclerc Joy. She was a soldiers wife, brave as any man and saw service with her husband in three wars. Our young Saxon officer was certainly another of these volunteers, who evidently survived this experience and arrived back home in time for the 1870-71 war with France.

Prince Felix Salm-Salm, shown here in the uniform of a Union Colonel of Volunteers, another holder of the Order of Guadalupe, this time a French officer who has lost his right arm, the reverse bears an affectionate dedication to his Aunt from Henri and is dated 1868

The image was taken by the C.Engelmann photographers studio, who operated photography studios in Dresden and Frieberg Saxony in the mid 19th century. The reverse of the image shows an elaborate photographers backmark, typical for the era and a dedication dated 2/3/69 written in a cursive script. At first go I was having difficulty in making out the names written in the dedication on the reverse of the cdv. After a bit of study, the name in the third line became clear to me as Von Munchhausen. The other name however still remains indecipherable to me.

Now with a name, I looked in my copy of the 1871 Rank List for the Royal Saxon Army for a Munchhausen. There were two, but the most important one appeared on page 29 which lists the officers for the 5th Saxon Infantry Regiment, Prince Friedrich-August Nr.104, there he was, Secondlieutenant Freiherr August Friedrich Christian von Munchhausen, who received his patent on the 24th of April 1867. Listed below his name were the abbreviations for the awards he had received thus far in his career; Akrd, MGR & PEK2 (Albert Order Knights Class with Swords, Imperial Mexican Order of Guadalupe Knight Grade and the Prussian Iron Cross 2nd Class).

Knowing that he had served in the Franco-Prussian War where he was awarded the Iron Cross, I once more turned to the library and pulled off the shelf Vols I &II of the German General Staff Report on the Franco-Prussian War 1870-1871. Each of the five volumes has an appendix which provides a wealth of information, orders of battle and the casualties incurred by every German unit engaged with the officers being listed by last name. During the 1870-71 War the Saxon contingent comprised the XIIth Corps of the II nd Army under the command of HRH Prince Friedrich Charles. In volume II the appendix lists the casualties for both the Prussian Ist and II nd armies during the Battle of Gravelotte-St..Privat on August 18 1870. In the column for the 104th Saxon Infantry, there was our young Baron von Munchhausen, listed as wounded in action. During this battle the 104th regiment took part in the assault and capture of the French village of St.Marie aux Chenes, perhaps it was here that he received his wound. He certainly fared better than another Mexican Intervention veteran and fellow recipient of the Order of Guadalupe, Prince Felix Salm-Salm, who was mortally wounded while leading the Fusilier Battalion of the 4th Guard Grenadiers during the Prussian Guard’s assault up the long slope before St.Privat.

The assault of the Prussian Guard Corps at St. Privat 18 August 1870, The Saxon XII th Corps monument at St. Privat

A typical Saxon Infantryman circa 1870, HRH Prince Friedrich Charles, shown here circa 1864 during the War with Denmark, note the cannonball beneath his foot
                    Thanks for hanging in there with me on this guys, I apologize for the photo sizing issues. Had to start over a few times while trying to keep everything lined up right. This was a fun little project for me and I hope that you found it entertaining.

Just goes to show the secrets which are there for us to unlock
                    with a little digging.

Cheers

Larry

Comment

Well guys, first of all thank you all very much for your comments and replys, I am really pleased that you found it of interest. Secondly I apologize for the double display, I was trying to modify the original, change some sizing issues and added a few more photos to help fill things out, and oops, now I have two of'em. Geezers and computers don't play well together sometimes..

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
                        I really like these kinds of threads.
                        Nicely done.
                        I agree. I like the unusual historical information about Napoleon III's comparatively obscure, but fascinating misadventure in Mexico and above all the research and artifacts shown.

Really an excellent post. Thanks so much.

Comment

Münchhausen

Larry,

I believe you have the wrong Freiherr v. Münchhausen. Your young man is wearing the uniform of the then 1. Jäger-Bataillon Kronprinz Nr. 12. The Guadalupe Order with the Rosette on the ribbon is the Officer Class and the medal in 2nd position the Mexican Military Merit Medal in Bronze: Thus Secondelieutenant Werner Ferdinand Emil Freiherr v. Münchhausen, born 1848 and brother of August Ferdinand Christian. Holder of the MGO and MbVM, he left Saxon military service in 1869. According to the "Stammregister und Chronik der Sächsischen Armee", he was living in New York in 1910.

Regards
                          Glenn

Comment

Well now, don't I feel dumb

Hi Glenn

Thanks. I was hoping you would comment on my post. I thought this guy was a Jaeger when I first studied him but couldn't find him in the 1871 Rangliste. After checking in Lacarde's it states that the Royal Saxon Army wore a shako unitil after the 1866 Bruderkrieg when they adopted the pickelhaube, model of 1867. My thinking was here's a young guy, fresh from Mexico with no time (or maybe money) to buy the helmet and so posed for the photo as is. Couldn't imagine that he would have left the army and not served in the 1870 War. The cuffs sure look black but sometimes in old photography colors can be tricky.

I'm happy to know about his bronze Merit medal, I believe Maximilian set great store by those and the silver medals. Also happy to know that he emigrated to the US later in life. It gives a better reason for his CDV to end up at an Antique Market in Mesa Arizona.

So now what guys, this sort of kills the story, should I strike the post?

Larry

Comment

Münchhausen

Larry,

Can't see any reason to strike the post whatsoever. The research regarding the Mexican "Adventure" and the subsequent history of his big brother is in itself great stuff.

Interestingly, the only other recipient of a Guadelupe Officers' cross in the Saxon Army, Richard Voretzsch did not survive the Franco-German War. He died of his wounds in Leipzig in September 1870. Münchhausen senior was the only other officer listed in the 1869 Rangliste with a Guadelupe Order; a Knights' Cross.

Regards
                              Glenn

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X