• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am jealous,,,,and I like it

Comment

Thanks guys i got it cheap to

Comment

Miracles happen. Nice to see that.
        Congratulations and thanks for reference photos - they are as rare as your cross.

Miro

Comment

Great and unusual find, adds motivation to our passionate game! there are still gems out there waiting to be found!
          Congrats.
          Vellocino

Comment

Thanks yes its a nice cross only need to get the neck ribbon for it but guess thats gonna be hard to find

Comment

In my opinion, that cross deserves the effort, necessary to complete it with a length of original ribbon.

Congratulations,

E.L.

Comment

Just one question: How much did you pay for it? When I look at the loop I get a bad feeling.. Rather looks like a reworked flag pole grand cross.. the cross itself is great, no doubt, totally awesome, but I'm really not convinced this was a neck order rather than a flag pole decoration..

Comment

Originally posted by Kraal View Post
                  ...When I look at the loop I get a bad feeling.. Rather looks like a reworked flag pole grand cross.. .
                  Nothing reworked there, that is the way those were made.

Comment

Originally posted by Alikn View Post
                    Nothing reworked there, that is the way those were made.
                    You are the expert on GCs, now I'm convinced

But wtf where to get such a piece at a "nice price"?! Want one too...

Comment

Ok---I've got a question and I don't want to step on anyone's toes
                      or create hard feelings but--

I am really curious as to how many GKs do we think were actually produced?
                      We know that there were only five recipients. There would have been enough made to
                      provide duplicates for them. There would have been a few used as
                      sales samples and we have heard stories of originals being used in
                      displays such as flag pole tops (although I don't recall ever seeing
                      an original posted)

Also--with such a small number needed, why would there be a need
                      for more than one company to manufacture them?

In my mind, I would think one company would have been contracted
                      to make them and the total production run would be maybe a 100.

I love early Iron crosses and the thought of being able to own
                      an original grand cross intrigues me but I don't believe for a second
                      that there are any originals out on the market.

Like I said, there is no disrespect intended here and I hope I did
                      not come off as being rude. I am curious to here others opinions
                      on this.

Greg
                      Last edited by gregM; 12-02-2013, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kraal View Post
                        Just one question: How much did you pay for it? When I look at the loop I get a bad feeling.. Rather looks like a reworked flag pole grand cross.. the cross itself is great, no doubt, totally awesome, but I'm really not convinced this was a neck order rather than a flag pole decoration..
                        That makeĀ“s no sense. There were no flag pole decorations with the 1914-grand cross. 1813 and 1870 - yes, but Germany was defeated in Word War I and the flags were not decorated with the Iron Cross .........

Regars
                        Markus

Comment

Originally posted by CSForrester View Post
                          but Germany was defeated in Word War I and the flags were not decorated with the Iron Cross .........
                          Thanks for that
                          Something I was curious about.

Comment

I still thought it ought to have 4 acorns to be a grand cross? So why couldn't it be a flag decoration of some veterans association? There are a lot of flag pole tops with a 1914 ek, used in the beginning of the Nazi era...

Best regards,
                            Michel

P.S. This is interesting:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=acorns

There was also discussion was in 2008.
                            Last edited by morel5000; 12-02-2013, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Hard to say Greg how many, all we have to go by are period catalogs or findings like at Zimmermann's burned horde, where everything else was with no question original period made.

Like with everything else when award was instituted some companies start making them probably in hope that recipients will buy and wear the cross from their company and no one could possibly know how many recipients there would be - one, five or ten, so they made some I don't think very many, maybe less then a 100. In example of 1813 GC there was an order of 100 pieces to the maker from whoever was in charge of awarding back then.

We see Grand crosses offered in Godet's and Maybauer's period catalogs, what looks like piece from Maybauer's catalog is an award piece, the one from Godet we see in wear by prince Leopold, so it is safe to say that recipients used some of what was offered in private sales, some of them wore uniforms for many years after the war and one awarded piece just not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by morel5000 View Post
                                I still thought it ought to have 4 acorns to be a grand cross? So why couldn't it be a flag decoration of some veterans association? There are a lot of flag pole tops with a 1914 ek, used in the beginning of the Nazi era...

Best regards,
                                Michel

P.S. This is interesting

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=acorns

The piece you are referring to is Grand cross from Godet and in their catalog they call it a Grand cross. I don't think there were ever definition for the Grand cross to have four acorns, it's just came from comparing design of one cross to an other.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X