No announcement yet.

"golden" EK 1....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The same piece on pg 199 Iron Time, and described as late war with this hinge/pin set-up..
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Stahlhut
      Here's the same type in slightly better condition with an LDO case, which means the cross was kitted out post March 1941:
      Hi Eric,

Nice looking example, which seems to have some beading flaws? - to me indicating later construction. Assuming the cross and case have not been "married", it would indeed be post-March 41 - although LDO marked case but non-LDO marked cross raises a small question (I've never seen one of these maker marked anyway though). That still fits with the early DK timeframe, which used the same hinge/pin, of at least September 41.

Regards
      Mike K
      Regards
      Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Detlev N. describes this as "pin back of the typical style of 1933-39" while Stephen P. in "The Iron Time" on p.199 calls it "late war manufacturing". I tend to vote 1930s as this is a type of hinge I have seen on sports badges and some tinnies before them Crazy Nazis ruined everything. My example is not magnetic, however, the frame appears to be standard two-piece silver, (not brass) but the crown appears to have a tiny bit of brass showing through and is probably brass. The frame appears to have to be silvered and polished (?) as on the 1939 EK1. The EK is convex, very nice quality, very light, well made and overall a very nice EK.

Comment

The reverse is just as nice. Has that interesting hinge which I attribute to typical 1930s, no markings, and a rather thin coke-bottle pin. The "brass" color showing on this pic is just from the scan, even with all that wear, it is silver.

Comment

The cross up for discussion is a nice variant, I would go with it being a 30's piece based on the construction of the clasp and pin style.
            Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
            All the best,
            Chris

Comment

I think it existed from the early teens well through the forties because it was a cheap item to produce. We're not talking high end deluxe here; this didn't sell for much. My only advice is just don't buy the version with the flattened section on the top of the hinge plate.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
              X