• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucky man...well done!

Marshall

Comment

Marc, as we say up here: Way-to-go-you!

I was in Doorn in May of this year and hanging on the wall in the dining room, without any plaque or anything pointing to it, was this identical EK1 in a frame. As everything in Haus Doorn was Wilhelm's family possessions, I have to assume this EK was his father's, Fredrick III. What struck me, was that the obverse (all that I could see obviously) was absolutely identical to my issued 1870 EK2. I must have stared at it for an hour. You must be vibrating waiting for this to arrive? Tony

Comment

Tony,
        It is like my blood is caffein. My heart sank when I called Weitze and he said, "Well, there were many requests for that cross in particular." PAUSE "Bt It is yours, I shipped it out today myself." Then my heart started! I must say I never would have had the confidence to depart with that much coin if not for the forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Flak88
          Tony,
          It is like my blood is caffein. My heart sank when I called Weitze and he said, "Well, there were many requests for that cross in particular." PAUSE "Bt It is yours, I shipped it out today myself." Then my heart started! I must say I never would have had the confidence to depart with that much coin if not for the forum!
          Well, duh.

Herr Weitze is a shrewd man, and don't be fooled into thinking he doesn't monitor this Forum. Congrats to you and to Herr W.!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Stahlhut
            duh
            Saaaaay.........Yer not from mah neck o' the woods in NB er ya eh?

Comment

Tony,
              In The Iron Time page 118 it details the Doorn EK1 that is framed. I really doubt this could be it. Did you see the reverse? I think that is the only way to know.
              Regards,
              Marc

Comment

Tony,
                In The Iron Time page 118 it details the Doorn EK1 that is framed.
                Marc, that would be it. So it was the EK1 Fredrick III. I could not see the reverse as it is framed, but a visitor could walk right by it and miss it. It is at eye-level. Naturally I did not have my digital camera with me.

Comment

Tony,
                  SOMEONE on this forum must have taken a picture of that EK1 at some time. Gents - anyone have a picture of the Doorn EK1???
                  Marc

Comment

Tony,
                    anyone have a picture of the Doorn EK1???
                    Hopefully someone does. This is going to sound weird, but I had my 1870 EK2 around my neck in my passport pouch. I was too paranoid to leave it in the hotel. I was able to compare it to the EK1 and was amazed at how similar they were; flat date, "rib-cage" crown. The only really noted difference, was the date on the EK1 (like yours) was better defined, especially in the way the number drop down on the top of the "1" and "7". But most of all, a breath-taking sense of quality and depth that is hard to explain. The one you have bought from Weitze has the look. T

Comment

Well, until that FEDEX arrives I am holding my breath! I am sitting in Midtown Manhattan with more cops than you can shake a stick at surrounding this area, the Anarchists are planning to "close" the city at 4PM (I am troubled that anarchists can mobilize - that should be anathema for them), and I just pray the FEDEX gets here through it all!

Comment

She is HERE!

All,
                        The CASED 1870 EK1 just arrived! FEDEX was a day late due to the Republican Convention. She is SO beautiful! I will post pics when I get home, but measurements will have to wait as I head out on vacation.

The reverse has this name (I post variations as it is hard to read) scratched on the back:

V. Samnov
                        V. Samnow
                        V.Samvow
                        V. Samvov

The case is a fragile beauty. Now that I hold her I can see she has been treated roughly.

The crown is so high, so three-dimensional and detailed that I almost feel like I can put it on! The cross is crisp as an October morning...

Needless to say I am not working too hard today!
                        Marc

Comment

In The Iron Time page 118 it details the Doorn EK1 that is framed. I really doubt this could be it. Did you see the reverse? I think that is the only way to know.
                          Regards,
                          Marc
                          Marc...

Calm yourself dude...it aint the Huis Doorn....!!

This is the back of the Huis Doorn Wagner EK1.....

Marshall

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X