Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI tank badge - PLEASE HELP

Dear Forum Members,

I would appreciate your most valued opinion on this Tank Badge.

Many Thanks to Everyone in advance!
    Dave.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Anyone? - thanks again.

Comment

So difficult to say with these rare badges, the trouble is that the waters have been muddied so much with these that I don't think that anyone knows what is real and what is fake anymore or maybe we never did !Some of the copies of this award are so good it 's frightening .
                I reckon that for every 500 of these that come onto the market maybe one , if your lucky , is ' right ' such is the flooding of these onto the collecting field. I have to say that your badge looks to have some nice points about it . The flat back and pin and hardware design look to be of the correct style.The detail to the front of badge looks pretty good and the overall patina looks plausible and not ' overdone ' for want of a better expression.
                I am no expert on these but I do have a large collection of Imperial aviation badges which give a good idea of construction methods ,patina and general ' build ' features. But at the end of the day it is a very itchy subject and enourmously difficult to say 100% yes or no. I think that the best thing is to be happy with it yourself and if not then either don't buy or get rid !Ferg.

Comment

I've owned 2 originals of this badge in my time. But, I'm no expert. However, IMO I think it's ok. I like the detail. The finish on the edge is good, it has the proper sweat hole at the base below the catch and it has an excellent pin. Judging from the hardware, it appears to be a Meybauer, which many of these badges were. Although these were usually marked. It is one of the best ones I've seen lately.

But, as Ferg says the waters have been truly muddied in the last few years. eBay is swamped with fakes. which damages the market for the real ones because some of the fakes are quite good. Although only 99 were awarded, many more were produced. Still, it is a rare badge. Years ago, before Internet auctions and cheap laser die cutting, one rarely saw these. Now, they turn up all the time.

However, if the price is within reason, I'd have it in my collection.
                  Last edited by Brian L.; 07-22-2012, 05:55 AM.

Comment

The Meybauer catalog is posted here: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=180063

should you wish to compare.
                    pseudo-expert

Comment

Fellows,

Thank you very much for your opinion, much appreciated. I would be grateful for any addional comments and/or opinion.

Thank Again,
                      Dave.

Comment

I've never owned a Meybauer type KWA so I really cannot comment on this type badge. I've owned 2 Junckers and 2 AWS marked badges. I do know that Detlev, for what its worth, wrote a COA for a badge of this type. I'll see if I saved the pic.
                        pseudo-expert

Comment

Here is a comparison with the pic in the Meybauer catalogue. Although, I had to blow it up considerably and can't get the details that sharp, there still seems to be some minor differences, particularly in the tank details. For example, the windows on the badge in question are larger than those of the Meybauer.

But, that doesn't rule out that it's a Meybauer, as they are very close. Perhaps there was more than one die.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Just a quick question which has no bearing upon the authenticity of this badge but I believe it was said that 99 of these badges were awarded. My question is were these badges actually awarded or were they available for purchase by veteran tankers. If they were awarded as such would they not have come with an award document as were all badges/medals that were awarded to an individual. I only ask because I have never seen such a document before.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemm View Post
                              Just a quick question which has no bearing upon the authenticity of this badge but I believe it was said that 99 of these badges were awarded. My question is were these badges actually awarded or were they available for purchase by veteran tankers. If they were awarded as such would they not have come with an award document as were all badges/medals that were awarded to an individual. I only ask because I have never seen such a document before.
                              The documents were awarded and I believe that the recipient had to then purchase his own award. I saw a 1921 dated document at the OMSA 1993 show, which was guaranteed original. It had a graphic of the badge at the top.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X