• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by morel5000 View Post
    This is getting interesting.
    Yes it is !

Comment

Hi Michel

I was hoping to be able to present my findings about the 1870 Wagner/Godet shared frames and core theory in a dedicated thread using quality images that will truly withstand scrutiny. That's proving difficult, but if you guys give me a few hours I'll try and cobble together what I have so far and I would be interested then to hear the comments of our other knowledgeable friends here.

I wanted to make sure I'm 100% certain about this and didn't really want to go off half-cocked but hey, I'll take 80% certain if you guys will take 80% image quality!

Marshall

Comment

Marshall,
        Don't feel rushed on our part. That being said, I am curious.
        I have always wanted to try and put a maker to my 1870s but
        the frames are so badly worn that that might prove impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
          ...but the frames are so badly worn that that might prove impossible...
          This is the biggest hurdle I'm trying to overcome Greg - "one swallow does not make a summer" as they say, but I also want to be able to prove a trend, not a one-off enigma.

Comment

Originally posted by Biro View Post
            This is the biggest hurdle I'm trying to overcome Greg - "one swallow does not make a summer" as they say, but I also want to be able to prove a trend, not a one-off enigma.
            in case off a 1870 one off swallow
            its already a big find ..and a big lead
            as well as very much welcomed by me

if the swallow has the correct soldering and its not a repair ,
            Moore swallows will be found from there .

looking forward what you found BIRO

regards kay

Comment

Ok - Give me a little more time then - there is an enormous amount to cover off.. and I want to do it properly.

I will start a new thread on it and link to it from here and then we can all pitch in with our combined thoughts.

Should be interesting.

Comment

Hi Biro,

if you need more photos let me know, I am burning with curiosity for your results.
                Don't rush, better bring the maxim instead of a half cocked gun...

Best regards,
                Michel

Comment

You see, I go off reservation for 4 or 5 years to have the kids and get settled in, and I pop back in to find you lunatics comparing frames of all things...

Nice.

There are so many things about the frames that can differ and one wrong feature effectively separates one frame from the rest - I mean, the hatchmarks alone are virtual fingerprints, but moreso when the beading flanges match, etc...

And one could also have a spectrum analysis done on the silver, see if they match up for trace metals....I'm getting carried away.

Who did this? I'm not ready to come back yet!
                  I do miss the research, though...

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                    You see, I go off reservation for 4 or 5 years to have the kids and get settled in, and I pop back in to find you lunatics comparing frames of all things...

Nice.

There are so many things about the frames that can differ and one wrong feature effectively separates one frame from the rest - I mean, the hatchmarks alone are virtual fingerprints, but moreso when the beading flanges match, etc...

And one could also have a spectrum analysis done on the silver, see if they match up for trace metals....I'm getting carried away.

Who did this? I'm not ready to come back yet!
                    I do miss the research, though...
                    shall I hold your hand ?

regards kay

Comment

Would it be an imposition?
                      I don't know if I'll have the time to really contribute, but I love an 1870 cross and will at least be reading up on the findings...

Comment

Hi Bill,

Nice to see a fellow New Yorker (re-)join the fray. Although, you are from Brooklyn. But I am prepared to overlook that because you're an Imperial guy, and we need good ones around here
                        Best regards,
                        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

And I will second that Bill - welcome back to an old friend whose knowledge and friendly style was sorely missed over the last few years!!

I have finally posted a new thread about these 1870 frames here The shared frames & cores of 1870 Godet & Wagner EK's - it's become a bit of an epic sized post I'm afraid, so you might want to pack a lunch before you start reading.

Hope fully it'll prove interesting - maybe I'll even be proved incorrect - but something productive will come out of it so I welcome any form of input whole-heartedly!

Marshall

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X