Bavarian pilot badge

Das this badge look real or it's fake.
    It has maker mark "Carl Poellath Schrobenhausen Silber"
    Thank you, Glenn
    Attached Files

reveres of this badge
    Attached Files

Comment

IMHO, this badge is a fake. I see a lot of them floating around, and a lot of very respectable dealers sell them because A) their opinion is different from mine, B) they are not as paranoid as I am, or C) they simply haven't found out the awful truth yet.

Tim
      "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

Agree with Tim

... I like to see a bit more depth to these badges. But having said that, IMO impossible to judge this badge from photos. I just purchased a very interesting Bavarian Pilot Badge in Germany. Actually, a group to a Bavarian Pilot, I'll post up pix of everything when it arrives from Germany. I was quite lucky, right place at the right time!

Comment

.....pictures tell more than words can portray...

...maybe not on this occassion. The front looks fine,and the stamping with the spelling of Karl with a "C" is a good sign...(iam not enering the debate on Karl or Carl !!!)With reference to the rear what i dont like is the lack of depth around the crown and the hinge looks a little suspect. Without handling i would stir clear.

As always if in doubt dont buy !! if its cheap buy !!!!
          Steve WW1wingman

****** I am always purchasing Original WW1 aviator badges ,please contact ********

Comment

Originally posted by WW1wingman
            ..the stamping with the spelling of Karl with a "C" is a good sign...(iam not enering the debate on Karl or Carl !!!)
            Too late. You just did. If you do a search on this forum you will find research that the spelling Karl Pöllath was used prior to and during the war, and Carl Poellath after the war, and this latter is the spelling found on nazi tinnies, paper wrappers for War merit crosses, and yes, it shows up on Bayern flight badges. So the name issue is sorted out.

Glenn, my concern about the badge shown, is that it has a very distinctive casting flaw on the reverse, right side of the top hinge. I have seen this flaw many times on these badges.

However, these badges with that little casing flaw are still of very good quality. Look at the rear seam where the edge meets the backing plate, very nice, far beyond the normal crap seen on a copy. The problem is that these badges with the absolutely identical casting mark shows up from time to time with one of two names on the back, Karl Pöllath or Carl Poelath. I find this very odd?

Please note that I am not saying these are bad, as I have never handled one. But I am very suspicious when two badges with different maker marks having identical die strike marks show up. When I collected Third Reich (yes yes, I admit it ) if I had found a Nazi war badge, with two different makers that came from the same die, that means someone other than the maker, making the same badge but adding on different makers to satisfy Joe-public collector. As well, these badges that come with the flaw, although very nice, are still substantially different and a much lower quality than Karl Pöllath badges with the smooth center section on the reverse.

Personally, I think it is too much money to spend on a "could be?". But, you will have to be the final judge. Good luck with what-ever you decide, Tony http://www.kaisersbunker.com

Comment

All in the spelling of the name ummmm

Having refreshed my memory by re reading the previous debate on the spelling of Karl or Carl on flight badges it seems that it was not concluded.

No one can be certain as to which came first as both markings appear on genuine flight badges.

I am not making any sweeping statements on the Bavarian pilots badge as to be certain you would need to take in many factors. Having collected flight badges for twenty five years i know a real one when i handle it . The old sixth sense kicks in ,if i get a gut feeling somethings wrong it usually is !!
              good luck with the debate !!
              SF

Comment

Originally posted by WW1wingman
                The old sixth sense kicks in ,if i get a gut feeling somethings wrong it usually is !!

Very true Steve.

Re: the "debate", it shifted from a 30 page monster about the names, to a seperate thread after contacting the city archivist in Schrobenhausen, link to that thread below.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20228

A random search on ebay will occasionally turn up late 1800s (often dated) religious items marked Karl Pöllath. This ties in with what the city Archives in Schrobenhausen confirmed, as well as a shift to military badges which explains the small number of flight badges marked the same. The religious article continue after the war, but now the spelling is Carl Poellath and Nazi tinnies etc appear with this spelling.

But really, why anyone would buy a badge based on the spelling of the name and ignore the quality is beyond me. I sure you would agree. As you said, that "sixth sense" should be listened too . Tony

Comment

Steve....

... why don't you show us some of your badges??

Comment

any one want some eye candy....

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ighlight=pilot
                    That ones mine, i have a problem sizing my pics,if any one wishes to post some for me,tell me what you want to see and i will email the pics for you to post!!

French WW1 sea plane pilot
                    French pilot WW1
                    French airgunner WW1
                    French Fix over 3" variety
                    French Fix mini WW1
                    French pilot WW1 PRINZEN US miniture type
                    French pilot OFFICER brassard
                    French O/Rs brassard armband
                    RFC 1912 pattern brass gilt wings
                    RFC mess wings two air vents to rear
                    RFC Cloth wings
                    RFC silvergilt thread bullion wings
                    RAF 1918 variant wing
                    RNAS gold /ruby eye mess wing
                    RNAS breast eagle to air vents to rear
                    South African Aviation Flying Corps shoulder title
                    SAAFC NCOS cap badge
                    US Navy 1917 rolled gold wings
                    US(Dan Dunham wing Texas)
                    US mustach wing
                    Prussian boxed pilots with award certificate
                    Prussian Observer
                    Bavarian Observer
                    Bavarian Airgunner
                    Prinzen sea plane
                    Prinzen land pilot
                    Austrian "Rothe" pilots Ex Flayderman
                    Russian Imperial WW1 pilots
                    Prussian panzer
                    Austrian Uboat presentation badge named in box of issue
                    etc etc etc etc
                    Hopefully that will keep a little bit of interest....like i said if anyone want to post pics just email me stephen.french4@ntlworld.com
                    Regards
                    WW1wingman

I have other bits which i may discuss at a later date !! its just time that seems to be limited for me !!

PS iam always wanting to buy unusual rarities WW1 or 2 !!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                    X