A little something for Kay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saschaw View Post
    So any son of a Graf was a Graf. No idea what they are now... but that doesn't matter here anyway.
    Just as a matter of interest, all titles now in Germany are part of legal names.
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
      This wiki article is in English. Down towards the bottom it specifically mentions the use of "Graf" during the Imperial era. All of the children of the upper nobility inherited the use of the title from their parent(s).

http://wiki-en.genealogy.net/German_Nobility
      From the same article:

Ranks of the Lower Nobility
      Very often a certain level of income, wealth, or social standing was necessary for appointment to these ranks, so as to demonstrate the ability of the person ennobled to maintain himself at a proper level.
      The highest rank of the non-sovereign nobility is Herzog or Duke, a title almost never given them and then only "ad personam", or much like an English life peer. An example is Otto von Bismarck as Duke of Lauenburg. He was styled Serene Highness.
      The highest rank that normally was part of the lower nobility is Fürst. This title, like Duke, was given to them only in the last centuries of the monarchy. Their children were rarely princes, but more usually counts or barons, depending on what was the original title of the Fürst.
      Next in rank is Graf or Count, which in modern times could be given primogeniture (inherited only by the eldest son), but was usually given to all the children of the new count. A very few houses also carry the title Burggraf which is approximately equivalent to Count.

Why is it that in the family history, written by the family, the title Graf appears randomly, and is not spread across the board so to speak, to all their names?

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com.../0004page.html

The coin itsself is from the 1880-90s if the serial number is any indication. That weeds out most of the von Sponecks. It could be Han's father's coin or it could be his as he joined the cadet corps in 1898.

As to why "Graf" is used instead of a first name I have two thoughts. First, have you seen how long/many their names were/had? Perhaps using Graf was the only thing that would fit. My other thought is that in this family only the oldest son inheritted the title, all others would be known as "von."
      pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Don Doering View Post
        From the same article:

Ranks of the Lower Nobility
        Very often a certain level of income, wealth, or social standing was necessary for appointment to these ranks, so as to demonstrate the ability of the person ennobled to maintain himself at a proper level.
        The highest rank of the non-sovereign nobility is Herzog or Duke, a title almost never given them and then only "ad personam", or much like an English life peer. An example is Otto von Bismarck as Duke of Lauenburg. He was styled Serene Highness.
        The highest rank that normally was part of the lower nobility is Fürst. This title, like Duke, was given to them only in the last centuries of the monarchy. Their children were rarely princes, but more usually counts or barons, depending on what was the original title of the Fürst.
        Next in rank is Graf or Count, which in modern times could be given primogeniture (inherited only by the eldest son), but was usually given to all the children of the new count. A very few houses also carry the title Burggraf which is approximately equivalent to Count.

Why is it that in the family history, written by the family, the title Graf appears randomly, and is not spread across the board so to speak, to all their names?

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com.../0004page.html

The coin itsself is from the 1880-90s if the serial number is any indication. That weeds out most of the von Sponecks. It could be Han's father's coin or it could be his as he joined the cadet corps in 1898.

As to why "Graf" is used instead of a first name I have two thoughts. First, have you seen how long/many their names were/had? Perhaps using Graf was the only thing that would fit. My other thought is that in this family only the oldest son inheritted the title, all others would be known as "von."
        Don ,,,its wonderful item ..do you know I have a nice exchange site ?

I wood be interested

regards kay

Comment

I have to study it a little more first Kay.
          pseudo-expert

Comment

Erbliche Titeln, or inherited titles such as Graf or Freiherr are still used in Germany, although less so than in earlier times. A family friend is Graf von Platen, and a relation is Freiherr von Bartels, although many younger Germans would view such titles as quaint and outmoded.

Comment

The power of the internet is a beautiful thing

In the last couple of months I've managed to track down the author of the "Sponneck Saga." He is Geofrey Harry Sponneck, living in South Africa. He took a great interest in the artifact and that someone outside of his family would have an interest in such a thing as it relates to his family. After several correspondences he has helped me narrow down the possibilities to:

Wilhelm Franz v Sponeck (Major General) 1845-1913
              Karl v Sponeck (Lt. General) 1816-1904
              Anton Franz Heinrich v Sponeck (Major) 1845-1905
              Theodor v Sponeck (Major General) 1869-1982
              Hans v Sponeck (Lt. General) 1888-1944

He was also nice enough to send me a hard bound copy of his self published work, "The Sponneck Saga." It is a more extensive work then the online edition and is fully illustrated. He has also asked family members to look thru files to see if we can find an old receipt or membership card to finally put a face to this item. A true gentlemen.
              Last edited by Don Doering; 01-22-2012, 11:50 AM.
              pseudo-expert

Comment

Very cool
                It's great being able to get the family to help research it.

Comment

Nice story Don. Please keep us updated on this, it sounds very interesting.
                  Best regards,
                  Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X