Fake MEZ 1 Klasse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake MEZ 1 Klasse?

It's obviously not a MVK or as the seller says "Pour le Merite für Mannschaften"

It does not match the "true MEZ" either, is it a known fake?
    Attached Files

mark
    Attached Files

Comment

It does not have the characteristics of an award piece. Could be a Spangenstueck with spurious markings.

Comment

Originally posted by VtwinVince View Post
        Could be a Spangenstueck with spurious markings.
        I think it could also be an outright fake?
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
          I think it could also be an outright fake?
          I agree. The patina looks faked as well.
          pseudo-expert

Comment

Hi Gents,

Why do you believe it is a fake? I see not why?

Tell me more what you thinks, please.

Thanks and regards, Mike

PS: Please write simply.

Comment

Mike, not convinced it's a fake yet but it is at least not a 'textbook' Wagner. It is extremly well made and very alike but not a match.

Bottom one is a MVK but it shared tools with the MEZ.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mike,

I don't know this award very well, but I think they are all struck from the same die as the GMVK, and I see some differences.

Of course your question has made me doubt my eyes, but here are some of the problem areas I can see:
                • Flaw in "T"
                • Shape of crown
                • Shape of ribbon ends
                • Overall shape (thickness) of lettering
                • Pebbling is quite different

The flaw in the "T" of "VERDIENST" may not be a problem, of course, if the silver is earlier.

If you think this piece is good, I am very happy to learn something new
                Attached Files
                Best regards,
                Streptile

Comment

It is also way too thin imo. Here is a good thread from the wayback machine: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...highlight=GMVK

Definately rules out a Wagner since, as I've always been told, the GMVK and MEZ 1 were made using the same die. Could it be a spurious mark on a "good" spangstueck? How would we ever tell? Methinks the Hero is expanding his market.
                  pseudo-expert

Comment

Perhaps we can scour the catalogs to see if we can match the crown with that distinctive row of dots.
                    pseudo-expert

Comment

Fake MEZ 1 Klasse?

Hello,

From my point of view the Military Honor Medal 1st Class (MEZ) is defiantly not an official awarded cross.

This type of MEZ was usually awarded during the colonial wars (1895 – 1906). Below you can see two photos of an official awarded genuine MEZ from the colonial wars.
                      The MEZ is only marked with the marker mark “W” and without any silver hallmark. I hope that one could see clearly the differences between the MEZ in the photos above.

Maybe it could be a so-called “Spangenstück” but I am not sure. To this one should examine the piece in the original.

A comparison with a Golden Military Merit Cross (GMVK) is in this case not really helpful in my opinion since both (MEZ and GMVK) are slightly different in the stamping.

Andy
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Andy K. View Post
                        Hello,

From my point of view the Military Honor Medal 1st Class (MEZ) is defiantly not an official awarded cross.

This type of MEZ was usually awarded during the colonial wars (1895 – 1906). Below you can see two photos of an official awarded genuine MEZ from the colonial wars.
                        The MEZ is only marked with the marker mark “W” and without any silver hallmark. I hope that one could see clearly the differences between the MEZ in the photos above.

Maybe it could be a so-called “Spangenstück” but I am not sure. To this one should examine the piece in the original.

A comparison with a Golden Military Merit Cross (GMVK) is in this case not really helpful in my opinion since both (MEZ and GMVK) are slightly different in the stamping.

Andy
                        I think so!

And, I know a dealer, he take a MEZ1 from Wagner and smashes a 938 in the cross. This is really and not a storie. Than I know a MVK not from Wagner but from WILM.
                        This cross is also different. ;o)

Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Andy K. View Post
                          Hi Andy and Mike,

Thank you for the explanations. I thought the two awards were struck from the same die, so I learned something new today

Andy, you show a very beautiful MEZ.
                          Best regards,
                          Streptile

Comment

Originally posted by RAO View Post
                            Than I know a MVK not from Wagner but from WILM.

Regards Mike
                            And here is a MVK from C F Rothe-Wien.

So there's 2 different versions of the 'MEZ type 4' made by Wagner? One earlier and one a bit later with the same dies as the MVK?

Good article about the MEZ

http://www.medalnet.net/Military_Honor_Medal.htm
                            Attached Files

Comment

All good info but it still doesn't tell us one way or another about the one that started this thread.....
                              pseudo-expert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X