Much That Once Was...A Godet PlM Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

Kay, do you have some pics from fake PLM, and sure you have pics from the best fake to show us, it's can be very interesting for us all.

fred

Comment

Originally posted by frednizza View Post
      Hi all,

Kay, do you have some pics from fake PLM, and sure you have pics from the best fake to show us, it's can be very interesting for us all.

fred

fred ,,this is the thread of zepenantusiast ,,,,,he followed a certain thought and started to go in to research very deeply ,,,,,he made this thread the most interesting ongoing research I ever seen ,,

so I am riding on the back seat ,,,, even better,,, in the trunk .
      and I want to keep myself there..

and,,there is another thing to ,,PLM are not my field of expertise ,,
      they only are cousins to the period jeweler book research I do fore the iron cross .
      or peaces in my own collection .
      so ,,,,no fake plm in my collection or files I can show ...
      its all about iron crosses

regards kay

Comment

Thank you Kay--I deeply appreciate that and it's an honor to enjoy your participation and input!

Because it does have direct bearing on this topic and reinforces the real concerns about high-quality fakes voiced by Trevor and others, here are a couple to consider, Fred:

(Almost certainly cast from an original Wagner.)

And this one very recently seen on eBay and new to me:

The second one is particularly interesting because it is marked "Godet" by description and all the details of the lettering are in fact consistent with Godet's style: short left-top serif on the F but a longer extension to the right, e in le centered between the l and the M, both serifs flat on the base of the M....

Strange, because it otherwise would be taken to represent a pie-top Wagner form.

Even the eagles are for the most part mimicking authentic Godet style in more than a few ways (will need to elaborate upon what I mean by that in a bit).

Would make one think whoever made this (apparently somewhere more than 15 years ago, based on what I was told) somehow was trying to copy this:

The metalwork really isn't half bad, could be enough taken by itself to trigger the "maybe a private purchase piece" line of thought, but the enamel is the real giveaway. I don't imagine any imperial-period jeweler (or even pre-WWII German jeweler) having done that. Their skill and attention to detail would never allow it out of the shop (guessing Kay will agree with that?)

Though the pie-top Dead Eye itself is widely considered a fake, I'm still open-minded about it for the time being and 2) the quality difference is obvious.

I think close inspection of the "Wagner" copy posted above will likewise show the enamel does not entirely hold up to close inspection, especially along the edges:

Last edited by Zepenthusiast; 07-01-2016, 11:01 PM.

Comment

The GODET mark on this new pie-top at first glance looks to be same as the Dead Eyes, but a little careful inspection will show it is not the same mark (corners on the D are too well-defined vs the more rounded version for the Dead Eye type. Mid-line on the E is same length as top and bottom lines, vs Dead Eye is shorter, etc.:

Here is the whole thing (reproduced for purely educational purposes):

Comment

Originally posted by Montgomery Burns View Post
            fred ,,this is the thread of zepenantusiast ,,,,,he followed a certain thought and started to go in to research very deeply ,,,,,he made this thread the most interesting ongoing research I ever seen ,,

so I am riding on the back seat ,,,, even better,,, in the trunk .
            and I want to keep myself there..

and,,there is another thing to ,,PLM are not my field of expertise ,,
            they only are cousins to the period jeweler book research I do fore the iron cross .
            or peaces in my own collection .
            so ,,,,no fake plm in my collection or files I can show ...
            its all about iron crosses

regards kay
            Ok Kay,

that is the problem to all fakes, we dont have enough pics to study them.
            I'm not PLM collector, this one was with object from an WWII french veteran from the 1er free french armée.
            I have a lot of WWI ek second class and some WWII, what is your book name?

fred

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X