No announcement yet.

Kaiser's Grand Cross-What is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:RAO, I was assuming a lot of “artistic license” by the photographer.

Here is a possibility, but first we have to assume that this picture was taken before Wilhelm was crowned in 1888. It is the Kreuz der Kammandatorden und Ehrenkommandatorden which was founded in 1852. It is basically an enlarged (88 x 57 mm.) version of the Kreuz der Rechtsritter (70 x 44 mm.).

Incidentally, if I remember correctly, Wilhelm I’s medalbar and other decorations are on display at the Hohenzollern Castle in Hechingen.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Indyarch View Post
      As I noted above, the crosses without crowns are intended to be PLMs. I had to look at the original postcards under 10x lens to see the letters. They appear to have oakleaves with an arc of diamonds around the leaves.

Did Wilhelm II have this as well as Wilhelm I?
      I'm not sure. I can't find Wilhelm II listed on any list of PLM recipients.

Comment

As near as I can tell, Wilhelm II received his PLM on 16 February 1915 and his oakleaves on 12 May 1915, both long after the picture in question was taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Card View Post
          As near as I can tell, Wilhelm II received his PLM on 16 February 1915 and his oakleaves on 12 May 1915, both long after the picture in question was taken.
          Thanks, Wildcard, I was bout 99.9% sure he had the PLM, but I couldn't find him on any of the lists I could locate on the Web.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Dwyer View Post
            Thanks, Wildcard, I was bout 99.9% sure he had the PLM, but I couldn't find him on any of the lists I could locate on the Web.
            Glad to be of help. The information, along with that of all other PLM awards, came from Bill Hamelman’s excellent work The History of the Prussian Pour le Merite Order (vol. 3).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X