No announcement yet.

Show Your Imperial U-boat Badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris, the only useful shot is the one in post #117. In the side by side comparision I see some minor differences. I would have liked to see a side by side of the reverses as well. Let me see what they have said over on GMIC.
    pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Don Doering View Post
      Chris, the only useful shot is the one in post #117. In the side by side comparision I see some minor differences. I would have liked to see a side by side of the reverses as well. Let me see what they have said over on GMIC.
      Thanks Don,

I can see that 118 did not come out very clear.

Detlev felt that the badge I got off him with removed snorkels had a replaced pin so a comparison of the reverse may be limited by that,

Chris

Comment

Hi guys,

I just went on GMIC and found the thread a few minutes ago. Thanks Don for posting the thread/PIC's. I made a suggestion that you may have to contact some of these guys via PM, as they tend to hang out in the WW2 KM section, but give it another day or two with the weekend coming up.

I agree with Don on the PIC's. For me, these badges placed reverse to each other doesn't make it easy to compare anything. Simple side by side shots in the same orientation is the best.

The die "traits" appear to be correct for Meybauer u-boat badges. I have compared both of these to the front of one that Gordon used to have and they appear pretty identical, however the details on both of these are softer than the one he had. I only have a front PIC of Gordons, so no reverse comparison was made.

I did notice, that the details appear deeper cut on Gordon's badge when compared to both of these, especially around the crown, but maybe it's the lighting or finish that is giving that appearance, so I would really wait for some of those names I mentioned to come in on this discussion.

Here's a mark I noticed and it may be nothing, but thought I would call it out.

We'll figure it out!

Tim

Tim
        Attached Files

Comment

As a follow up- the general concensus is that it is probably a well worn original.
          pseudo-expert

Comment

Yes, though many questioned the pitting or pock marks and soft details, Gordon did say it appeared to be, as Don stated, a well-worn original.

So, now we at least have more examples here for Maybauer badges.

Congrats Chris!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Garlasco View Post
              OK - I am breathing again. For some reason I had thought you were implying there were cast copies made DURING the war. What you show is the typical middling quality of Juncker flaks. I cover that in my book. It is totally a heating/cooling issue as you point out. I would leave it to someone with an understanding of metalurgy to discuss injection molding using a metal like Tombak or NS, as I have no such knowledge.

Man, you had given me cold sweats! But now I feel much better. We do ascribe something of an expectation of perfection to German badges, which is quite ridiculous. Thanks for posting.
              Marc
              I am pleased that you like it Marc, helps me to breath easy too

I would like to see a lot more discussion about "middling quality" and "metalurgy" because I have noticed that of late many badges are now being written off as bad if the show the slightest sign of what is perceived to be casting.

In fact more than one person has said that my Jucker flak must be bad because of the state of the reverse and the fact that the detail on the front is not crisp.

Hopefully we might start a thread in the appropriate section of WAF about this.

Many thanks,

Chris

Comment

Many thanks to Don and Tim

for posting my Meybauer on GMIC and getting to the bottom of the matter or the ocean of fakes with regard to that Kaiser U-Boat badge being the real-deal or just a fishing sinker (no pun intended really)

Chris

Comment

I like this one, the classic "Schot" U Boat.

What do others think ?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Gets even more interesting on the reverse side.

Is there a list of the crew of U 17 to be able to check this crewman. Is his surname German ?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ebony View Post

Is there a list of the crew of U 17 to be able to check this crewman. Is his surname German ?

I can't find a Garbarini, but I don't have a WWI crew listing. That doesn't mean he wasn't a able-bodied seaman on the U-17. And I have no reason to doubt Weitze.

Comment

Originally posted by Claudius View Post
                        I can't find a Garbarini, but I don't have a WWI crew listing. That doesn't mean he wasn't a able-bodied seaman on the U-17. And I have no reason to doubt Weitze.
                        I know there are crew lists for the WW2 U Boats but are there any still in existance for WW1 ?

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ebony View Post

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                          ....I know there are crew lists for the WW2 U Boats but are there any still in existance for WW1 ? ......
                          Try in this link: http://www.ubootwaffe.net/ww1/crews.cgi. It's a first step.

Jan.

Comment

30's U Boat badge??

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46880

I don't have a picture hosting service. Please excuse the cross post. Any help appreciated on this one.

Comment

is this yet another fake??

these are the best pics I have. Thank you well in advance
                              Attached Files

Comment

I saw that one and didn't like it. I think the aging has been done chemically. If I remember correctly the seller has a bunch of other stuff listed that is bad too.
                                pseudo-expert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X