No announcement yet.

Show Your Imperial U-boat Badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11 The reverse of a Juncker flak is no where near as smooth as a Gustav Brehmer and I suspect this is because the wreath and gun on a Juncker is made using a casting technique where as the Brehmers are die struck. The eagles on the Junckers are die struck however
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ebony; 11-11-2010, 06:28 AM.

Comment

12 Not really any ripping marks from a die strike, only file marks to clean up the casting.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ebony; 11-11-2010, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Lucky Last 13 and the reason why a Juncker flak winds up posted on a thread about WW1 U-Boat badges
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ebony; 11-11-2010, 06:30 AM.

Comment

I think 13 images lets us all see the Juncker from more than one angle.

The Juncker flak with the pock marks can only be decribed as a "factory second" of the time and not a grade one quality but it is important to remember that the German manufacturers of that time wasted nothing and a few pock marks here and there was not a reason for a badge to not be finished off, sent to the front or presented as is the case here.

I have noticed recently that there has been an increasing trend about badges having no pock marks whats so ever and soft detail is a real no-no but the reality is that one can sometimes come across a perfectly original badge which does have that so it pays to handle as many badges as one can from particular makers and apply the size, weight, pin, plating and rivet test.

Keep in mind that the Gemans waste nothing and their production was always aimed at being as efficient/ technically superior as possible,

Chris

Comment

And the photos of the two sub badges side by side?
            pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Don Doering View Post
              And the photos of the two sub badges side by side?
              I will probably add them tomorrow Don,

Chris

Comment

OK - I am breathing again. For some reason I had thought you were implying there were cast copies made DURING the war. What you show is the typical middling quality of Juncker flaks. I cover that in my book. It is totally a heating/cooling issue as you point out. I would leave it to someone with an understanding of metalurgy to discuss injection molding using a metal like Tombak or NS, as I have no such knowledge.

Man, you had given me cold sweats! But now I feel much better. We do ascribe something of an expectation of perfection to German badges, which is quite ridiculous. Thanks for posting.
                Marc

Comment

Chris,

Have you asked or shown your badge over at GMIC yet? I would really be curious to see what others over there think of it.

I do think the patina and finish wear look old when you look at points under the pin, etc. I also like the coloration your bade has taken on.

Its all down to the numerous tiny holes that give me concern as I have not seen that before on these.

Would really like to hear what Gordon, Skip, and Michel have to say on this one. Marcus Hatton might have one as well. All good people to contact and again, I am hoping it turns out to be good news for you.

Tim

Comment

[QUOTE=Tim B.;4316852]Chris,

Have you asked or shown your badge over at GMIC yet? I would really be curious to see what others over there think of it.

I do think the patina and finish wear look old when you look at points under the pin, etc. I also like the coloration your bade has taken on.

Its all down to the numerous tiny holes that give me concern as I have not seen that before on these.

Would really like to hear what Gordon, Skip, and Michel have to say on this one. Marcus Hatton might have one as well. All good people to contact and again, I am hoping it turns out to be good news for you.

Hello Tim,

I am not a member and have never ever been on that site.

Would it be possible for you to post my images and ask them ?

Chris

Comment

Done. http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopi...0&gopid=429433&
                      pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Don Doering View Post
                        Thank you very much Don,

I will now get ebony to post those comparative images,

Chris

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

OK that should do it.

On the second example beside the Meybauer, I have no idea why the snorkels have been removed and you can see quite clearly where they have been. The photo which came with it shows this badge being worn that way,

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X