'14 ek1 - question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by streptile View Post
    Mike -- re the cores, are you talking about WWII-era cores?
    WW2 period 1914 cores are the same as post-45 and 57er 1914 cores.

I have 1914 S&L cores from TR period, early 57er period and 1970s/?80s.

The core at the top of this thread is NOT S&L.

Regards
    Mike

PS: you've just proved my point by posting the example above - LOOK at the date!

Hardware is not necessarily maker specific, so should not be used as a concrete indicator.
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny
      The core at the top of this thread is NOT S&L.
      Hi Mike,

All right, you seem to know your cores.

But S&L used at least 3 different 1939 cores for their '57 period crosses. Do you think it's impossible that they had multiple cores for the 1914 crosses? And the reverse hardware setup on this star is typical S&L -- so typical, in fact, that any piece with this setup is immediately labeled S&L. All in all, to me this piece still seems like an S&L, however I am very open to being wrong about it.

I really think you should repost in the 1957 section.
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
        .... typical S&L -- so typical, in fact, that any piece with this setup is immediately labeled S&L....
        Hi Trevor,

No offense intended, but that is one of the problems. The statement is a collector assumption, not fact. Easy to make, and I'm sure I'm guilty of it myself. The fact is that very few 57er examples are marked, yet there were many more makers/distributors than just S&L and Deumer. We do not really know who made what, except when it comes to later S&L examples (or otherwise marked examples). If I get around to it, I'll post the L/54 core I used as reference, next to S&L and Deumer (all are similar, but different when you look closely).

Regards
        Mike
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
          Hi Trevor,

No offense intended, but that is one of the problems. The statement is a collector assumption, not fact. Easy to make, and I'm sure I'm guilty of it myself. The fact is that very few 57er examples are marked, yet there were many more makers/distributors than just S&L and Deumer. We do not really know who made what, except when it comes to later S&L examples (or otherwise marked examples). If I get around to it, I'll post the L/54 core I used as reference, next to S&L and Deumer (all are similar, but different when you look closely).

Regards
          Mike
          Point taken, Mike. Actually this discussion got going a bit here, and I made much the same point (around post 43)...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=391036

...and I do agree. I guess I just never doubted that particular pin was anything other than S&L, as it's found on the backs of S&L 57er EK1s (EK1s with identical cores and frames as marked 57er EK2s).
          Best regards,
          Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X