50's EKI???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50's EKI???

I don't normally post pics of pieces until I receive them, but I'm pretty excited abou tthis EKI. I have it from our resident EK expert that this is most likely from the 50's and is possibly an actual 1957 produced piece.

I'd love to hear all thoughts on it and I will post MUCH better pics when it arrives!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Pheuw, IMO a very nice and very early 50´s piece
      Seems it has the complete frosting on the frame
      I like it very much

Comment

Resident EK "Expert"mj07.gif....I've no idea who he is!! We'll see what the other guys say......
        sigpic 57ers...."The Devil Is In The Detail"

Comment

Who was it that said it was raining 57's today?
          It is POORING 57's!

Well done Mike, it is very early for sure

Comment

Originally posted by knockoffnigel View Post
            Resident EK "Expert"....I've no idea who he is!! We'll see what the other guys say......
            Who knows New Form EK's better than you Nigel? You've handled more than most of the rest of us added together! You're an EXPERT IMO!

Thanks Rudiger and Luud!

This cross came from eBay.de for relatively little money! The bargains are there just fewer and further between with each passing day it seems. I found this one when good friend pointed me to it! Many thanks!

Comment

Hello

Well, for my pennies worth I'd say that the quality of the strike to frame and core, plus the good frosting are indicative of an early new form EK. I'd put this one in the very early 1960's, as in no later than 1962.

Regards
              David

Comment

Originally posted by DavidM View Post
                Hello

Well, for my pennies worth I'd say that the quality of the strike to frame and core, plus the good frosting are indicative of an early new form EK. I'd put this one in the very early 1960's, as in no later than 1962.

Regards
                David
                Hi David, i think this is 50's, i was just wondering why you'd go for 60's rather than 50's???

Comment

Sweet catch, Mike.

I know you love frosting

I sincerely believe that the so-called "Souval" type pins were the ones used on the very first series of S&L EK1s. That doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't also use this pin.

You gotta show some more photos of this one when you get it.

PS: looks possibly vaulted?
                  Best regards,
                  Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

If I may add this one, Mike. Also not yet in my hands but being handled by German Postal Services ( hopefully ) .
                    Attached Files

Comment

Souval setup, as Trevors comments state .... .
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by knockoffnigel View Post
                        Hi David, i think this is 50's, i was just wondering why you'd go for 60's rather than 50's???
                        Hello

A bit of background first of all, which can be applied to any early, quality new form EK, and which, among other things I bear in mind when estimating the production point for a piece.

The actual laws and regulations that established the 1957 new form items didn't pass through the then West German parliment until mid 1957. The manufacturing instructions, (which were only really followed during first few years of production) were issued in August 1957, for example, Der bundeminister des Innern, Herstellungsvorschrift fur das Eiserne Kreuz 1939 I. K1. Nr 20 August 1957 I A 1 - 11965 A was the formal specification for the manufacture of the new form EK1s.

Now, it is assumed that production of the new form pieces was underway by late 1957, at the latest very, very early in 1958. Over the first year, maybe the first couple of years as I undertsand matters the manufacturers tended to stick to the regulations, and make them in basically the same way as the WW2 versions. Over the first year or so a lot of the EKs were made with left over wartime parts and, or parts produced using the original wartime dies etc. Time and care was clearly taken over the pieces, with highly burnished rims, excellent quality pressing of frames and cores, and good, deep frosting. The soldered joints were very finely done and the cores were, as per the new regulations, made of iron. In other words, the quality and workmanship were all still there.

On the basis of what I've said above, then viewing Mikes EK from the front, you could very easily say that this one fits the bill for a very early one, from maybe the late 1950's, and given the first class quality of the finish, stampings and frosting I wouldn't agrue with that. On the reverse it has the solid hinge block, again indicative of the earlier EK1s. It's the pin, and only the pin, that makes me think perhaps it's from the very early 1960's. Purely a personal, judgemental thing, but I've only encountered this thinner style of pin on items thought to be early, but from the very early 1960's. I fully concede that I may wrong on this, and that they may have been making this style from the word go, (S&L certainly seem to like changing pin styles) and continued it on into the 60's, before changing the pin style (yet) again.

Anyway, that's why I said 1960's, but no later than 1962. A bit of rambly explanation, but at least you get a small insight in to some of the comments that I make. At the end of the day a really sweet gem of an early one, that any of us would be really proud to have in our collections. Late 1950's or very early 1960's? It's within the same and correct ball park

Regards
                        David
                        Last edited by DavidM; 10-31-2009, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I also have to agree with David and Trevor.
                          It is still very early, but looking at the finish and crispyness of core and frame IMO absolutely not the earliest.

But does it matter?
                          I see that many are fixated to have the earliest of the earliest.
                          But I have many items in grouping that are still early (early sixties) but not the very earliest.
                          They are still made of high quality and I don't love them less than the earliest items.
                          Last edited by LuckyLuudje; 10-31-2009, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your explanation David!
                            I can only go by the examples in my own collection, and when comparing them, the style shown by Mike is better quality when it comes to paint, frosting, soldering, frame alignment etc...
                            I reckon the two styles overlapped, but the Souval/coke bottle style pin can also be found with semi open hingeblock and later thicker catch! Things i have'nt found on the thin pin examples as posted by Mike!

Comment

Forgot to add, Luud and David, they are all in the same ballpark, and if a piece was made in 59 or 61, you are right its no big deal -Nigel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X