X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1870 EK1 ... need fast help!

Hello fellows,

is this an original EK1 from 1870??

Photos are not very good - sorry, but these are the only ones I got.

Thanks in advance!

Joerg
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

. .
                Attached Files

Comment

I am always a bit leary of Wagner marked crosses however the core details
                  look very nice. The catch has been replaced and the pin has been repaired
                  or replaced. I would say this one has a strong chance of being OK.

Comment

Compares favorably with the one found here: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=358392
                    pseudo-expert

Comment

Need to see a reverse shot with pin down. I've seen good 1870 EK2 cores swapped into 1914 EK1 frames. The mark looks good, but can be created. The only real way to be sure is to compare the pin on the reverse with known originals, in my personal opinion. I am familiar with two types of original Wagner pins. If this one doesn't match either, I wouldn't personally go for it. Of course the pin could be replaced, but how can you tell then that the rest is original?

I wouldn't touch it without a pin-down shot to look at. That's just the world we live in

All that said, I believe the core is an original 1870 Type A core.
                      Best regards,
                      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

So few EK1 1870's and this is the sloppiest looking put together I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S View Post
                          So few EK1 1870's and this is the sloppiest looking put together I've ever seen.
                          Hm, I wouldn't say that. Have you seen the 'KO' marked 1870 at Weitze?

Jörg, I'm actually inclined to like the thread-starter.

I'd just need to see the pin, and frankly wouldn't buy it if it didn't match known original Wagner types. It's depressing, but even a good Wagner 1870 EK1 with a period-replaced pin wouldn't necessarily be a good investment, in my opinion, because you'd never quite know for sure if the pin really was replaced, or if the cross was a put-together.

Someone really needs to do an in-depth study of Godet and Wagner frame beading patterns from marked EK1s. First of all, it would help us identify good ones from beading patterns. Second, it could help us assign makers to unmarked Type A EK2s. It's a project I would be interested in initiating, but I'd need good, closeup obverse photos of other members' marked 1870 EK1s. I think it would be a very worthwhile study.
                          Last edited by streptile; 12-09-2009, 09:30 PM.
                          Best regards,
                          Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Jorg/Stdub...

A perfectly good A Type, with the correct Wagner maker mark and badly replaced and repaired reverse hardware.

A perfectly OK cross - but not one for the purists...

Marshall

Comment

Thank you very much for your comments!

Here is the only shot I got from the pin.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Joerg
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X