BDOS Article - 1870 EK's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BDOS Article - 1870 EK's

Does anyone know if there is an English translation of this magazine, or at least this article, from the recent BDOS journal?

http://www.bdos.de/magazin/ausgabe59.pdf

It contains some fairly important - and by the look of the featured crosses, accurate - information on the current thinking on the 1870 iron cross series, including excerpts from the period 'Louis Schneider' book and the '9th Bead fake' .....but unfortunately, only our German friends can read it!!

And that's just not fair is it...

Marshall
    Last edited by Biro; 05-27-2009, 03:35 AM.

don't worry the '9th Bead fake' is still a badly re'soldered 1914 ek2 frame with a modern copy ( fake) core .

regards kay
    Last edited by Montgomery Burns; 05-27-2009, 05:01 AM.

Comment

That looks like a pretty indepth article that just begs to be translated into English.

What I found interesting is that the Godet EKI with the short 7 exibits even more evidence of the core being cast than the example I have. The porosity on the one horizonatal arm and around the W device in the center of the core shows this quite nicely.

Now we just need to find an German/English speaker who would volunteer to translate this for our collective benefit.

Anyone?

Tony
      An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Yes, that's an very good article. I'm not aware of any translations given by the BDOS, nor do I know inofficial translations. The author isn't that good at English and, from what I know, not am member of WAF.

Originally posted by kay bunnecke View Post
        don't worry the '9th Bead fake' is still a badly re'soldered 1914 ek2 frame with a modern copy ( fake) core .
        The article does not claim anything else, but shows why this has to be like this.
        sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

I just spent an hour trying to use a "free" on line translater to read
          part of it. It is free for the first 750 words and then it locked me
          out. So I didn't get very far.

From what little I could get out of it. The type "A" cores were made at
          the "royal Prussion iron foundery in Berlin" which was closed on January
          5th 1874. The Godet short 7 cores appear to be made in house by
          Godet after that date and Godet was the only maker of the short 7
          cross.
          ---------------and then my "free" translation died

Comment

I could do a reasonable translation given some time this weekend, but other members (S.... where are you? ) who are truly bilingual would do much better.

If it's not done in a few days I'll give it a go.

~TR
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Thanks Streptile - Your ranking points on the forum would improve significantly if you did.

From what I can decipher, most of the info in the article consolidates much of what we have speculated about here over the years...

I notice we at WAF were not given credit by the author for identifying the 'Prominant 9th Bead' as a key identifier in the '9th Bead Fake' way back in 2004 1870 EK2 variant? ... but hey, that's just semantics...

Comment

Originally posted by Biro View Post
                I notice we at WAF were not given credit by the author for identifying the 'Prominant 9th Bead' as a key identifier in the '9th Bead Fake' way back in 2004 1870 EK2 variant? ... but hey, that's just semantics...
                I was around for that one--I think you're right. We should get a little
                wink and a nod for that one.

Comment

Agreed, a very good article.

Comment

Originally posted by Biro View Post
                    Thanks Streptile - Your ranking points on the forum would improve significantly if you did.
                    Then I'm definitely doin' it pronto!

(actually I really will, given the time)
                    Best regards,
                    Streptile

Comment

There will be a translation. Now who's faster?!

It might take some time, but I'd do it. One translation's enough, isn't it... ?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by saschaw View Post
                        There will be a translation. Now who's faster?!

It might take some time, but I'd do it. One translation's enough, isn't it... ?
                        Thank you Saschaw & Trevor!

I know of 1 other person who has offered - it's a shame you can't team up and maybe do a page each rather than three people do the whole thing!

Either way, I'm happy to redo the article with the new translation and the reference pictures so it can be posted (and maybe pinned) here on the site... with full credit to the author of course!

Anyone who wants can email it to me. PM me for email address..

Marshall

Comment

The arictle should be published on Andreas' "medalnet". Mike (the author) and Andreas (medalnet) want it there to be published, I think both in German and English. I think I'll start now...
                          sigpic

Comment

Fantastic, thanks - I'll keep an eye on Andreas's site.

Comment

Well, I can't start 'til Saturday at the earliest... but now I want to do it!
                              Best regards,
                              Streptile

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X