No announcement yet.

WWI Pilot Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is my opinion that there were no war time or even post war issue badges for Bavarians. I believe ( my opinions) that all were issued with a standard Prussian badge and it was up to the Bavarian pilot to buy a badge with a Bavarian crown atopfrom makers such as Pollath/Poellath and others. I have yet to see an issue Bav. pilot badge that is ' good '. I have in my collection a Prussian issue observer badge that has had a Bav. crown ' married ' to it. I have seen this before on Prussian issue observer and pilot badges ,there is also a sanke card ,can't remember which one , showing what appears to be one of these hybrid badges in wear. Ferg1.

Comment

Hi Fergus,

i'm not sure that the bavarian got the imperial aviation bagde. They have different document and the badge were awarded not by the KoGenLuft. Bavaria is the only country who have their own Fliegertruppe. Saxony and Wuerttemberg habe only some units attached.

So i think they get the bavarian one. Pictures shows that they changed the badges (imperial or bavarian) but i think bavaian got their own badges.

Regards Alex

Comment

Alex, have you seen an issue Bavarian pilot badge ? I do not recall ever seeing one . Ferg1.

Comment

But the bavarian chef of Fliegertruppe can't award te imperial aviation badges. This could only the KogenLuft. Thats the reason why the bavarian have own badges. I don't know if the person got the badge or only the document. But i believe he got both.

Regards Alex

Comment

Ferg, I think the award circumstances were the similar for Prussians and Bavarians, and I also believe that many took the bestowal document straight to the jeweler and obtained a higher-end badge. This is certainly the case with my uncle, who wasn't awarded his pilot badge until well into 1918. He never received an 'issue' badge, but went straight away to the supplier and got a Juncker badge.

Comment

Nice Badges man!
              Cheers, Steve
              ----------------------------------------------------------------
              "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

Originally posted by DaveG View Post
                I have a Bavarian pilot's badge, marked "800" on the pin made in this same form, which I've heard referred to as the "cliche" method. Are these hollow-backed specimens issue pieces or private purchase?

Nice badge.

Dave
                Dave, I would like to see photos of your badge if you have any you could post.

Thanks,

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Moore View Post
                  Dave, I would like to see photos of your badge if you have any you could post.

Thanks,

Lee
                  Here's a link from when I posted it on the forum a while back.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...rian+pilot%27s

Comment

Thanks Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X