WWI Pilot Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI Pilot Badge

I bought my first Imperial Badge back in 1974 and this is it. The pin was detached and maybe a replacement. I reattached it with liquid solder. The badge is hollow with a fitted back plate and looks like it could be made of German silver. There is no hallmark but there is an engraved number 114674 on the back. Any observations or opinions would be welcome. Thanks, Fred
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fred Borgmann; 11-17-2009, 05:20 PM.

Here is the reverse. The color is not as dull as on the scan and the laurel leaves on the viewer's left are in higher relief than the oak leaves on the viewer's right.
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks good to me. Not sure if it is made of silver but good hollow piece. I think the catch is also replaced.

The number can be the number of the order of the Kommandierenden General der Luftstreitkräfte for bestowal of this badge.

Regards Alex
      Last edited by jaba-the-hunt; 11-17-2009, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks Alex. As long as I have posted this one I will also post the other one I have. This one came from a Dallas area coin dealer about 30 years ago who made it very clear that he knew nothing about it but that someone told him it was not genuine. I liked the looks of it and bought it anyway. It is a hollow strike without backing. Looks like it is silver washed bronze and the color of the silver looks right for the time period. The pin looks like those on wound badges. My feeling is that it could be a 1920's replacement or wearing copy. Again any opinions and observations are welcome.
        Attached Files

Comment

And here is the reverse.
          Attached Files

Comment

Fred, those are both excellent, original examples. Very nice

Comment

Thanks Vince!

Comment

YES , i like it this two too

Comment

Danke Chris!

Comment

I look through my documents and i'm sure the number is the number of the bestowal order of KoGenLuft. I have a document for a army pilot badge from 15.09.1918 and this has the number 132982.
                    Another documnt from 23.07.1916 has the number 50755 at this time signed by Feldflugchef.

Regards Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Borgmann View Post
                      And here is the reverse.
                      I have a Bavarian pilot's badge, marked "800" on the pin made in this same form, which I've heard referred to as the "cliche" method. Are these hollow-backed specimens issue pieces or private purchase?

Nice badge.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by jaba-the-hunt View Post
                        I look through my documents and i'm sure the number is the number of the bestowal order of KoGenLuft. I have a document for a army pilot badge from 15.09.1918 and this has the number 132982.
                        Another documnt from 23.07.1916 has the number 50755 at this time signed by Feldflugchef.

Regards Alex
                        Thanks again Alex. That really narrows down the time of issue. Fred

Comment

Originally posted by DaveG View Post
                          Are these hollow-backed specimens issue pieces or private purchase? Dave
                          Dave,
                          It is my understanding that the hollow back versions are the issue pieces, whereas the more elaborate two-piece silver ones are private purchased, both during and after the war (WW1, that is).

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tgn View Post
                            Dave,
                            It is my understanding that the hollow back versions are the issue pieces, whereas the more elaborate two-piece silver ones are private purchased, both during and after the war (WW1, that is).

Tom
                            Dear Dave,

I agree with Tom's statement.

Gary B
                            ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

I´m not sure wich are awarded and wich private purchase. To answer this question we need information from the owner.

Regards Alex

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X