Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Urgent Request for Help on an EK1 Mark

Hello Imperialists,

I am really hoping someone here can help me with this quandary I am in. I have an unmarked 1914 EK1 that I believe holds the key to a large-ish research project I am trying to put together. I never thought I'd find one marked, as the numerous examples I've seen in both classes are all unmarked. For my birthday a few days ago my lovely girlfriend got me a copy of the Revised Edition of The Iron Time by Stephen Previtera, and to my immense surprise the book contains some photos of this cross with what appears to be a maker's designation. Needless to say I fell out of my chair when I saw it. However, I can't decipher it It is driving me nuts. It seems so close, yet so far...

I am posting an excerpt from the book with Mr. Previtera's permission. The cross is pictured below. I have blown up two sections which show the mark. I don't think anyone can make this out in the scan, but who knows? Clearly seen is some engraving, and the silver content mark '925'. What I want to read is below the '925,' just above the name "Heinz."

What I really hope is that those of you who own this book could open it up to p. 238 and have a look for me and tell me if you can read it, or if you have any ideas. Your help is enormously appreciated!

By the way, I have asked Stephen Previtera, but he does not have this cross in-hand, and doesn't quite remember who does. If the owner of this cross is reading, I would be in hugely grateful if you could read this maker's mark (if that's what it is) for me.

Let me also say, to those of you who either own the First Edition of The Iron Time, or who don't own it at all, that the Revised Ed. is a simply spectacular update, really an entirely new book. Especially the 1870 and 1914 sections, which seem in many places brand new. I can't believe I lived for 10 years with the First Edition, thinking they were substantially the same. This is an absolute must-have in any collector's library, in my view.
    Last edited by streptile; 11-02-2009, 09:52 PM. Reason: typos
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Your getting closer and closer in nailing those Trev! Could the mark or engraving be a dedication of some sort? Like "In loving memory of" or similar? Regrettably do not have the book, yet. Case looks like a nice "private purchase" one and the 925 suggests that too, they could be put together though.

Comment

Originally posted by Roglebk View Post
      Your getting closer and closer in nailing those Trev! Could the mark or engraving be a dedication of some sort? Like "In loving memory of" or similar?
      Thanks Carl. I can almost taste it!

I suppose it could be a dedication, but I doubt it. It's written in small BLOCK CAPITALS, not script, and seems consistent with the '925' rather than with the name and date.

I think it may possibly take the owner of this actual cross coming forward, as even in the book it's tough to make out. However, I was hoping that someone with a thorough knowledge of Imperial EK makers might recognize enough letters to make an educated guess. For example, I believe I can see the following letters fairly clearly in the photo:

_ _ ANS_ _ _ (space) CO _ _ _

Anyone care to have a stab at it?

Anyone know the owner of this cross?

Originally posted by Roglebk View Post
      Regrettably do not have the book, yet.
      The 2nd Ed. has a nice expanded section on the Virgin's Cross, by the way, including a document, a case, a photo of it in wear, and good text.
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Comment

I looked at that page Trevor and used a very good magnifying glass. It appeared to me to say 925. Steve

Comment

Hello

As best as I can make out, the inscription reads:

20 September 1914
          There's another line of inscription just under the '925', which I'm working on to enhance and decipher
          Heinz

Regards
          David
          Last edited by DavidM; 11-03-2009, 02:57 PM. Reason: Misread first post - it's the line I'm trying to enhance & decipher that you want !!!!!

Comment

Thank you both.
            I can read the date, the '925' and the name Heinz.
            It's what's between the '925' and the 'Heinz' that I'm interested in. This:

Originally posted by DavidM View Post
            There's another line of inscription just under the '925', which I'm working on to enhance and decipher
            I really appreciate your help and ideas, guys!

To me it looks like:
            _ _ ANS_ _ _ (space) CO _ _ _
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Comment

Hello

I don't know if these views of it help. They are in negative and I've played with the balance to try to tease out the letters. I'll post them here to see if any sharper eyed members can help.

Regards
              David
              Attached Files

Comment

Another view
                Attached Files

Comment

Standard view
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks David!

I guess the first letter of the second word looks more like a "G" than a "C" so what I see is:

W(?) _ ANS_ _ _ (space) GO _ _ _

Anyone have a guess?
                    Best regards,
                    Streptile

Comment

Trev - I stared and stared at this image last night in Mr. Previtera's book. David's pics are a big help too.

I wonder if this is a stamp from the jeweler who did the actual engraving and that it really has no connection with this particular style of EK. If that is the case, then it would make sense that this "mark" is a mystery. I agree with you; we'll probably only know what it is when the owner of the actual EK comes forward.

Comment

I check all of my makers lists and could not find anything close.

Trevor,
                        I appreciate all of the effort you are putting into trying to identify
                        this maker.

Comment

Thank you, guys. Brian, your idea is an interesting one (that it could be an engraver's company name), and seems plausible. Greg, thanks for looking -- I, too, found nothing similar. But there are a lot of unknown makers, right? And David, I've just noticed that you must've scanned the page anew to make your images, so I thank you for the effort.

I hope others will continue to weigh in on this.

As some of you may know, I believe that this cross (pictured) is the same maker this one:

..which, in turn, I believe is the same maker as one:

...which is where I've been trying to go with this. I also believe the answer to this question has implications for a particular controversial 1939 EK maker, but that's another long story for another thread. Well, the search continues.

The cross in the book that we've all been looking at is credited as belonging to a Georg Bewersdorf in Germany. If anyone knows him, perhaps they would be so good as to direct his attention to this thread?

Thanks again for the help,
                          Best regards,
                          Streptile

Comment

Just playing the game, but I can almost make out M HANSEN C..... (with the M having angled rather than straight sides) - I don't think that's a Hansen core though. It could also read W. GLASSER C....., and as I've never seen a Glasser marked 1914EK1, they may be a contender.

Regards
                            Mike
                            Regards
                            Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

I agree that from the pictures we have so far, and from my own comparisons with Hansens maker mark, a slight variation of the M HANSEN maker mark seems the most likely candidate so far.

Far from conclusive though...

Marshall

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X