The 1870 "wideframe" EK2 maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 1870 "wideframe" EK2 maker

Some time ago I became interested in the so-called "wideframe" 1870 EK2. They are commonly believed to have been made "after 1900" and are thought to have been Jubilee replacement crosses. Many nice examples are shown in this thread.

Looking through my own crosses for a similar core, I believe I found one, and think it's now possible to put a maker and a possible period of manufacture to these crosses.

Below is the obverse of an 1870 "wideframe" EK2:

Here is the reverse:

'

Now, below is the reverse of another cross. The measurements are the same as the 1870 "wideframe." In my opinion, so is the core. And, while this may not be apparent in the photos, the frame details are also identical. Same cross-hatched inner-beading corners, same bead count, same jump ring lug:

Now, here is the obverse of the second cross:

This is a 1914-series replacement cross made during the Third Reich by the firm Juncker.

It is widely known that there was some minimal production of 1870-series EKs during both WWI and WWII. Examples may be seen in period catalogues. I believe the "wideframe" 1870 EK2 to have been manufactured by Juncker, most probably during the Third Reich. This would explain the frame's dimensions, for one thing.

One point of interest is that the crown on the obverse of the 1870-series EK2 is a very good match for the crown on the reverse of the same cross, whereas the crown on the obverse of the 1914-series EK2 is quite different from it's reverse (which is the same as the 1870 reverse). This leads me to wonder if perhaps the 1870-series core was designed first, and then -- later -- the 1914-series core obverse was designed (perhaps by a different hand) and paired with the same die used to strike the 1870 core reverse. This leaves open the possibility that the 1870 core itself was designed earlier than WWI, although this doesn't explain the Third Reich-era frame dimensions. Overall, I think this is still a bit of a mystery, but I believe we can be reasonably confident that these are Juncker pieces.
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

A definate match Trevor, good work! Here's a thread discussing the maker of the 1914/1939:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=342457
    Last edited by Roglebk; 09-14-2009, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Looks like a match to me. I don't know if we can date these crosses
      but you do make some good points. It will be interesting to hear what
      others have to say.

Well done Trevor.

Comment

Thanks guys. Recognize the 1914-series, Carl?

There are a few things that make me believe the 1870-series wideframe was made substantially earlier than WWII. The core/crown thing I mentioned above, and a few others I want to share later in depth, but briefly: mine came in a fitted case that is most definitely not WWII vintage, and the EK1 version of this same core/frame combo has reverse hardware that is not WWII period, in my opinion. None of this explains the 44mm size, however.
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Comment

Sure the 1914 cross is a Juncker? I know 1914 EKs by Juncker that have a totally different design... did they have two?
          sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

Originally posted by saschaw View Post
            Sure the 1914 cross is a Juncker? I know 1914 EKs by Juncker that have a totally different design... did they have two?
            Um, I'm not sure. I call this one a Juncker because other people, including Detlev Niemann, do. It could very well be wrong. Can you show a Juncker TR-era 1914-series EK2?
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
              Thanks guys. Recognize the 1914-series, Carl?

There are a few things that make me believe the 1870-series wideframe was made substantially earlier than WWII. The core/crown thing I mentioned above, and a few others I want to share later in depth, but briefly: mine came in a fitted case that is most definitely not WWII vintage, and the EK1 version of this same core/frame combo has reverse hardware that is not WWII period, in my opinion. None of this explains the 44mm size, however.
              Sure do Trev! Believe these 1914 are early 30's made by Juncker. Mostly because of the crosshatching, hump, stippled core on obverse, not quite TR shaped frames and overall better quality than the other 1914 TR-era Juncker version. Juncker had lots of different cores and frames on their TR series, why would the 1914 ones be any different?

Comment

Other 1914 TR-era Juncker. Nice core details on this one as well and the more "typical" Juncker frame.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Carl, that's the type I know. Wasn't aware Juncker did use different cores for their late 1914 Eks. Thanks!
                  sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

Originally posted by saschaw View Post
                    Thanks Carl, that's the type I know. Wasn't aware Juncker did use different cores for their late 1914 Eks. Thanks!
                    Hi Saschaw, it's just a theory. Have no real proof that Juncker actually made the version that matches the 1870.

Comment

Well, a Niemann expertise stating Juncker as the TR-era maker of the 1914-series is another clue, if not proof.
                      Best regards,
                      Streptile

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
                        Well, a Niemann expertise stating Juncker as the TR-era maker of the 1914-series is another clue, if not proof.
                        Exactly, forgot to mention that.

Comment

The '14 Ek2 shown above are linked to Juncker just because of the L/12 marking. The core is a typical AWS one-There are also L/12 marked AWs screw and pinbacks(I've only seen the flatback variation with L/12 so far)
                          Micha

Comment

Originally posted by Motorhead View Post
                            The '14 Ek2 shown above are linked to Juncker just because of the L/12 marking. The core is a typical AWS one-There are also L/12 marked AWs screw and pinbacks(I've only seen the flatback variation with L/12 so far)
                            Micha
                            Hi Micha,

Do you mean this core?

And do you think the L/12 marks found are legitimate? Mine has no such mark.

If the L/12 is legit, it would also give us a time-frame.

Thanks in advance,
                            Best regards,
                            Streptile

Comment

No,I meant the ones in post#8! In my opinion Juncker has bought the stocks from AWS and stamped them with L/12. And I think it wasn't Juncker alone-if you are looking at the screw of the imperial AWS type screwbacks in some cases you can see that they've removed the AWS hallmark!
                              Micha

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X