No announcement yet.

Help newbie identify new medals please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These all came togeather from the same family. Post #27 shows that several medals could be awarded to an Austrian Officer in an African Campaign. I don't know much about the medals so I am learning here as well. I don't see any of these items that would not fit in here.

Comment

Originally posted by D Funk View Post
      These all came togeather from the same family. Post #27 shows that several medals could be awarded to an Austrian Officer in an African Campaign. I don't know much about the medals so I am learning here as well. I don't see any of these items that would not fit in here.
      Uhh, have I missed something? What does this group make an Austrian officer's one and is there any award that indicates "African Campaign"? Neither, nor I'd say!

This Waldeck award was awarded to four Austrian plus one Hungarian officer in whole WW1... I cannot even asume this should be one of those as nothing indicates it. Or did the "group" came with provenance or papers?
      sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

Originally posted by D Funk View Post
        Yes, the pin on the EK1 is marked "800". So we can assume the recipient was an Austrian Officer in the African Campaign, this would explain the Austrian style mounts. If I did find ribbons for the other medals, should they also be mounted in the Austrian Style or is this not appropriate for these medals.

We cannot "assume" this with any certainy at all. This is just a collection of awards, not a grouping.
        pseudo-expert

Comment

Clarification: The correct English word for "Öse" is jump ring; not loop. The top part of a Medal with the eye that's attached to the medal/cross that the jump ring goes thru is called the medal loop. Refer to the drawings of parts of a medal on p.437 in Angolia's "For Führer & Fatherland Vol.1". See also the original WW2 German medal maker's catalog by Steinhauer & Luck. The "Öse" (jump ring) is the round thing that the ribbon passes thru. It's called a jump ring so the medal can "jump around" (dangle) from the jump ring. Any jewelers supplies catalog identifies these as jump rings, available in different sizes & colors.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X