A study of the 1870/71 Verdienstkreuz für Frauen und Jungfrauen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A study of the 1870/71 Verdienstkreuz für Frauen und Jungfrauen

Also known as the 'Womens and Virgins' or 'Womens and Maidens' cross.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdien...und_Jungfrauen

The Forum taught me that there are 2 versions, is that correct? Only saw 2 so far and they are:

1. Right in pic. "W" marked for maker Wagner or is it M? Straighter arms than the 2nd version, wider gap between the inner corners and fatter red cross. Doughnutshaped jumpring sits higher in the frame. Best way of telling them apart is the square die flaws that looks similar to the "Juncker Crosshatching" on the inner corners.

2. Left in pic, unmarked. Got wider and more curved arms and gap between inner corners are narrower. Jumpring is lower. Red cross is thinner.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Roglebk; 08-31-2009, 09:14 PM. Reason: More info

W or M mark

The mark is definately engraved, either a W or a M. I lean against W.
    Attached Files

Comment

Square die flaws on the W marked cross

Characteristical square shaped flaws on 3 of the inner corners. There are quite extensive "hairline cracks" in the frames too, this particular cross was stamped late in the dies "life". No use in trying to tell the versions apart by the core details, each individual cross differs because the silver inlays are hand made.
      Attached Files

Comment

Crown on the W-marked

Extremly nice, and small, engraved details on the crown on both crosses.
        Attached Files

Comment

Obverse of the W-marked

Front is actually the less nice side of the cross. "Doughnut" jumpring is a part of the stamped framehalf and not attached, just like on the RK's.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Roglebk; 08-31-2009, 08:30 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Reverse of W-marked

The nicer side, imagine the hard work put into these. The black enamel is like a mirror and very hard to photograph, camera and operator reflects in the surface. Had to get pics from an angle.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Roglebk; 08-31-2009, 08:38 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Good idea for a thread and Great pictures. These are some of my
              favorite Imperial medals. The detail and craftsmanship on these are
              simply beautiful.

One note however. There is a 3rd variation. One with the jump
              ring soldered on perpendicular to the frame. It also has a different
              crown and slightly smaller date. Unfortunately I do not have a picture
              that I can post .

Comment

Thanks Greg, read about the 3rd version somewhere here but must have blocked it out. Jumpring is more like a EKII then but still in the Prinzen size? Anyone got pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Roglebk View Post
                  Jumpring is more like a EKII then but still in the Prinzen size?
                  That's correct.

Comment

Great pieces, photos, and thread. Keep the info coming; unfortunately I've nothing to add.
                    Best regards,
                    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Comparising pic

A very happy LW marked 1914 EKII.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Reverse

Mirror mirror on the wall.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Great photos, thanks for starting this thread. I'm still looking for one of these as it is at the top of my wish list.

Comment

2nd version obverse

Unmarked, no "square flaws" and more pointy inner corners. This one comes close to 34 mm in size, 1st version is 33mm. Should have put a matte black disc on the camera lens to get rid of the reflection.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Roglebk; 09-01-2009, 03:31 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

2nd version reverse

My favourite cross, no hairline crack die flaws in the frames and the enamel and inlays are just perfect. Shape reminds a lot of 1939 ones.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X