Which is the rarest Iron Cross?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by regular122 View Post
    For me, it is this late war 1914 solid, common looking one. See if you can tell why. Front and back displayed below. Steve

Steve, I don't think you can count manufacturing errors as all of them are probably unique.
    pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by kay bunnecke View Post
      how about ek 2 with black enamel (onynx) core
      Posted for Tiger1
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Don Doering View Post
        Steve, I don't think you can count manufacturing errors as all of them are probably unique.
        You are right Don, but a double-reverse strike has to be extraordinarily rare. I guess this one below will have to do. Not even in the league of Wild Card's though!
        Attached Files

Comment

A double strike? Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't "strike" iron...you cast it.
          Ammersee

Comment

Originally posted by kay bunnecke View Post
            how about ek 2 with black enamel (onynx) core

only one known until today

ek2 prinzen with glass core

only two known until today

we chould open a thread called

ek's,,, money wont buy you

Kay,

I second Wild Card's surpise comment of 'Oh?'

You are are kidding I hope. Original 1813 EKI's and 1813 EK prinzens are extremely rare. Having money allows one to be able to afford a rare decoration but doesn't gaurantee being able to FIND an original example that is for sale.

To paraphrase an old Mr. Natural underground comic from the late 60's early 70's...."Dope will get you thru times of no money, whereas money won't get you thru times of no dope." Juxtaposition EKs for dope and the same often applies in medal collecting.

I wouldn't be too quick to quantify other rare EKs. There are a few more than what you counted in other private collections. I know of several other examples of some of the crosses you mentioned above.

Just an FYI, the so called 'onyx' crosses are glass enamel construction like the 1870-71 Women's and Maiden's crosses.

The enamel cross Greg (Thanks Greg ) posted from my collection is also prinzen size.

All the best,

Tony
            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Originally posted by Ammersee View Post
              A double strike? Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't "strike" iron...you cast it.
              Ammersee
              Ammersee,

I think he double reverse sided one is made of bronze. It might be cast but I think it was made from two halves stamped together--hence, the two reverse halves. I could be wrong on its manufacture but that is what it looks like. Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1 View Post
                Kay,

I second Wild Card's surpise comment of 'Oh?'

You are are kidding I hope. Original 1813 EKI's and 1813 EK prinzens are extremely rare. Having money allows one to be able to afford a rare decoration but doesn't gaurantee being able to FIND an original example that is for sale.

To paraphrase an old Mr. Natural underground comic from the late 60's early 70's...."Dope will get you thru times of no money, whereas money won't get you thru times of no dope." Juxtaposition EKs for dope and the same often applies in medal collecting.

I wouldn't be too quick to quantify other rare EKs. There are a few more than what you counted in other private collections. I know of several other examples of some of the crosses you mentioned above.

Just an FYI, the so called 'onyx' crosses are glass enamel construction like the 1870-71 Women's and Maiden's crosses.

The enamel cross Greg (Thanks Greg ) posted from my collection is also prinzen size.

All the best,

Tony
                wel ofcourse ,,,i just get carried away somthimes ,,,,

wondered wy the thread stopt so early ,,,so made a bold comment

there are more rare peaces ofcourse ,,((that money wont buy jou.))

thank god,,,

and so we have a nice list with pictures here,,,

and beautyfull it is ,,,

i humbely getting to my knee's and bow at the wonderfull rare peaces i see here,,,

and humbely crouwl back in my cave

regards kay

Comment

Oh Kay!
                  An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X