Which is the rarest Iron Cross?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is the rarest Iron Cross?

From reading the threads on a daily basis I know there are many Iron Cross collectors out there. It is such an interesting award with a long history. I started collecting the 1939 EK and clasps at first but then moved into the 1914 series. It wasn't until recently that I was able to acquire some 1870 EK2s. My question, and I am interested in everyones opinion, is, excluding the Grand Cross of the Iron Cross and the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross, which do you think is the rarest Iron Cross or Iron Cross clasp. Please free to post your first and second choice.

From what I have seen over the last several years. My choice for the rarest EK is the 1813 First Class followed by the 1914 EK1 and 2 Prinzen.

Your thoughts?
    Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

I feel that the rarest EK is always the next one you are striving for. It doesn't matter what era or class it happens to be. Because so many different outfits made them and because they came in so many forms and variations one can collect EK's for a very long time and ALWAYS find something 'just a leeeetle bit different'. Don't even get me started on cases or KMST versions! heh!
    For me, collecting is the thrill of the hunt. Sure, any fat cat can get out there and order whatever he wants from a dealer. I prefer to cut out the middleman and find them myself at a lesser cost. It is a far more satisfactory and rewarding method in more ways than one albeit much more tedious and labor intensive.

p.s. Those 1870 EK1's with the double pin and catch assembly are quite scarce and in my eyes (at the moment anyways) very desirable!

p.p.s. Yeah, the 1813 EK1 is kinda like looking for a hen's tooth, unless you live in Germany...
    Last edited by eric; 01-28-2002, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Beyond a doubt the hen's tooth of EK's is the Bandkreuz of 1813, if only due to the nature of its construction. Practically speaking, though, it would be the 1813 Kulm Cross, made ofv thin painted sheet metal for the Russian allies in thev Napoleonic Wars. Next would be 1813 EKI's with fabric or leather cores.

Comment

I would have to say that an authentic, documented and id'ed issue 1813 EK1 would still be one of the rarest. In terms of numbers, the 1870 spange would be rare because of the small number of 1870 veterans still serving in 1914.

Comment

A period-issued 1813 EK 1.

George
          George

Comment

The 1813 Band Cross or Kulm Cross is a point well taken. Also when you get into cases for the EK it gets harder. We all know that the 1914 and 1939 EK1 and 2 was delivered in a envelope or case. I wounder what the 1870 EK2 came in. I have never seen a wrapper for a 1870. I feel that cases for the 1870 EK2 were made after the war for display. I have seen a case for the 1870 and 25 year spange. So the case was made in 1895. Wish I bought it. It was about $700 at the time. I saw it on ebay a few months after and it was going for a crazy price.

I don't think you can beat the diversity of the collecting EK and when you add in cases it gets to be really great.

Comment

At a show once I saw a cased 1870 EK 2 for non-combatants. The EK was court-mounted. Also in the case were the single-ribbon bar, the buttonhole ribbon, and a stickpin. I think the guy wanted $725 for the whole thing. I made the rounds of the rest of the show and when I went back to get it, it was gone.
              I'm still kicking myself.

George
              George

Comment

--FW's original prototype
                --I'd have to say simply an 1813 EK 1 or 2 with solid frames - the very first ones they made before the standard 2-piece method was adopted.

Comment

Well itsounds like the 1813 EK is the winner as the rarest EK. I can't argue with that. Thanks to everyone for contributing.

Comment

I think an 1870 bar to the 1914 Iron Cross would be quite rare. Look very similar to the reissue 1957 bar to the 1939 cross. Less than 100 were awarded, very few around today, although like everything else the fakers are churning them out.

Comment

rarety

regards kay
                      Last edited by Montgomery Burns; 05-02-2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

how about ek 2 with black enamel (onynx) core

only one known until today

ek2 prinzen with glass core

only two known until today
                        COLOR]
                        Last edited by Montgomery Burns; 05-02-2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

For me, it is this late war 1914 solid, common looking one. See if you can tell why. Front and back displayed below. Steve
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kay bunnecke View Post

...forget joure prinzen's and 1813's
                            jou have the money fore them jou wil get them

but these i mensiont ,,,all the money in the world wont bring them to jou

regards kay
                            Oh?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Okay, I'll try to forget...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X