No announcement yet.

WWI Pilot badge stick pin????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it definately an L ? Further still is that definately an LDO mark? I don't think we can tell.There was an EK maker of WW1 who marked the rings with an L. If it makes you feel any better I will alter my opinion to 1920's and beyond. The point I was making was the lower crown does not indicate a fake item! Ferg1.

Comment

Hi again Peter, also if you blow the picture up you can make out that the crown does indeed have a cross on it. It's vague but it's there.Ferg1.

Comment

Ferg, check the linked sales thread and you'll understand my view about the missing cross. I find it useless to discuss this without images to compare with. If anyone care to post an image of my pin, perhaps this will be more interesting.

cheers
        Peter

Comment

Ferg,
          Still not sure that I agree with you, but that's what makes these discussions a learning process. The soldering on the pin is sloppy, the large flange pin configuratiions are rare on the pre-war military pins and it would appear that there is not any knurling on the shank of the pin. I can't read the inscription on the back of the pin, but if it is predeceded by an "L" maker mark it is not propoer for the period.
          Lyn

Comment

Ferg,
            I would also be concerned by what appears to be a smooth shank on the pin, the sloppy solder job and the large flange size on the pin. Most of these older pins had a soldered hook configuration pin. I too have concerns about the lack of a cross on the crown and the overall detail of the piece. The 'L" on the back appears to be hand inscribed from the photos provided, but I can't be sure.
            Lyn

Comment

Hi Lyn, what do you mean by pre-war military pins? I doubt that this is pre war,(WW1 that is). Ferg1.

Comment

Ferg,
                I meant pre-WW2 military pins. Sorry for the oversight. A large majority of the Imperial and Weimar Military miniatures did not use a flanged attachment point like yours. They either used a soldered 'U' shaped joint with the solder being on one of the arms of the "U", or the pins were soldered directly at the pin post. There are exceptions to every rule, but............
                The detail on your pin is pretty weak, and not what I would expect to see from the jeweler made miniatures of the WW1 era. Sorry to disapoint.
                Regards,
                Lyn

Comment

Hi Lyn, it's OK I am not dissapointed it's not my pin, I was just commenting on the thread,but amongst my collection of pilot pins and badges ( over 80 badges) I have a beautifully detailed beobachterabzeichen (observer) pin ,not marked but certainly silver and has a circular flange mounting on the reverse for the pin. Oh , and it's not a fake .Ferg1

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X