Clear All

4 pieces?

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
      4 pieces?
      Of course

frame = 2 pieces
      core = 2 pieces

Here you can see the back of my cross...don******180;t forget your sunglasses!
      -> LINK

Greetings
      Solomon
      Last edited by Solomon; 01-01-2007, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Well to each his own, but I wouldn't spend $5 on something that looks like these

Especially when you can buy a real nice looking EK for $40.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
          Well to each his own, but I wouldn't spend $5 on something that looks like these

Especially when you can buy a real nice looking EK for $40.
          My EK wasn´t very expensive...and I know that it looks terrible

My other EKs (2x Wilm, KO, U, SILBER-EK1, etc,etc...) look much better.

But it was a interesting variation, especially with its zinc frame!

Greetings
          Solomon

Comment

Originally posted by Solomon View Post
            Hmm, I******180;m not your opinion!!!
            It looks like a rare cross with sheet metal core(s) (two separate cores)!

I have a similar rare cross with a zinc frame in my collection.
            The 4 in 1914 is closed, and the back, especially the 1813 looks terrible!

IMO these crosses were made between 1918 and 1933.

Greetings
            Solomon
            Hi Solomon, what makes you think that these were manufactured pre-1933? Do you have this documented anywhere or ? I have no idea if you are correct or not, but I would be very surprised if you were correct in this, to be honest?? Just wanting to know what makes you think that these are not a cheap recent faker attempt? To me, these do not look like anything pre-1945 manufacture and I would throw them straight in the bin to be honest...but that is just my opinion based on my first impression...Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Originally posted by torstenbel View Post
              Hi Solomon, what makes you think that these were manufactured pre-1933?
              Hi Thorsten,
              I´ve have no real proofs for my statement.
              But the used material maybe one:
              Who makes a copy of a EK 2 1914 and uses zinc instead of sheet metal or silver for the frames?
              The used zinc of my cross is so called "Feinzink" which was also used for the prussian war aid cross (manufactured at the end of the war until 1933).
              Also the late (and very,very rare) medals of the order of the crown Prussia were made of this Feinzink.

This zinc is not comparable with the "dirty, low-quality zinc, the manufactures used after 1939 for the badges of the 3th Reich.

At the end of the 1st WW materials like iron and silver became rare, so it might be possible that other materials were tested.

For me it is still an original...without any doubts, and I´ve some different Eks to compare with (although I don´t really collect EKs ).

Greetings
              Solomon

Comment

Sorry to say, IMO this EKII is a late '57 type '14 or more likely a collectors copy done after that. The style of finish and the construction quality as shown in the pictures is not what one would expect from an interwar piece, even a low quality example.

Iron and steel as well as silver was available in Germany during the late WWI war years and postwar.

Tony
                An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Originally posted by Solomon View Post

For me it is still an original...without any doubts, and I******180;ve some different Eks to compare with (although I don******180;t really collect EKs ).

Greetings
                  Solomon
                  Hi Solomon, ok and no prob and I will not argue with you, but to me this is not original pre-1945 manufacture...the only time that I have seen this type of Zink used pre-1945 for anything resembling an Iron Cross is for children's toy medals or very cheap throw away type event badges but not for any medals to be worn. Maybe your cross is pre-1945 manufacture, but then I would only think it to be for children to play with...like I said before...only my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own of course. Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

I will reiterate - I would not like this piece in my collection. I think that it is easy for the fakers to press metal and then put them together for the core than it is to have a solid piece of iron.
                    I understand that manufacturers experimented - but if they ended up with the afforementioned cross - I'm sure they would have been very disappointed.
                    It looks nothing like a pre War EKII
                    Also, they are not expensive - I'd go for a solid core, nice rattle and patina

Comment

Gentlemen, you are using the term "57" in a completetly wrong context. The term "57-piece" subsumes ONLY 3rd Reich medals and orders which are listed in the German order and medals law from 1957 and which were approved to wear without swastika anymore. All other WW1 medals do not have to do anything with this law.
                      Maybe the iron cross was made after 1957, either as a fake or for replacement for a lost cross but there is no connection to 57-items.

Comment

Thanks

Hello all,
                        Thank you all for your insights. This was a fun discussion. It does seem odd that someone would go to the trouble of making a reproduction with a more complex construction than a more traditional assembly, yet I guess whether this is inter-war, ’57 or of another origin will remain a mystery and opinion, for now. It is unique and the fact that it generates so much controversy makes it interesting.
                        Best Regards,
                        Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X