Engraved Imperial Tank Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank badge

thanks for your comments Mike, I too have seen fake cliche examples with a Paul Maybauer crest on reverse but the one I saw had ,strangely enough, much bigger acorns on the Oak leaf side of the wreath and was made from some sort of alloy with a modern 'silver' type finish and an unconvincing patina applied. I have been looking into A Werner und Sohne and they do seem to have produced these badges,I guess in the 20's and 30's ,also the TR section referes to the AWS pins on the 39-45 badges as having a ' waffle' crimp to the hinge end of the pin which my badge does indeed have ,while not exactly the same ,fairly simular. As I said before it is definately not cast as a casting is rigid and this is not,no casting flaws either and I am sure it is not electro-formed either as there would not be the slight double imaging on the reverse ( mentioned previously). With electro forming the reverse detail tends to 'dull ' as the badge 'builds' or plates up.The reverse detail on this is pretty sharp. Ferg1

Comment

I AM VERY SAD TO REPORT THAT THE BEAUTIFUL ENGRAVED BADGE HAS SOLD TO A CUSTOMER IN AUSTRALIA.....THIS REALLY HURTS BECAUSE aNDREAS SAID THAT HE WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE THAN WILLING TO COME UP WITH AN AFFORDABLE LAY-AWAY PLAN. I THINK I WILL CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP FOR THE NEXT WEEK.

(I know I was shouting....I am so emotional right now)

Comment

Originally posted by IMPERIAL QUEST
        I AM VERY SAD TO REPORT THAT THE BEAUTIFUL ENGRAVED BADGE HAS SOLD TO A CUSTOMER IN AUSTRALIA.
        Curious, what was the asking price? What would an unengraved example sell for?

Comment

Originally posted by IMPERIAL QUEST
          I AM VERY SAD TO REPORT THAT THE BEAUTIFUL ENGRAVED BADGE HAS SOLD TO A CUSTOMER IN AUSTRALIA.....
          Well, for the record, it was NOT me Steven! My one and only gamble on one of these - and let's face it, buying one of these IS a risk due to lack of solid info - is a clique type "Meybauer" of very good quality (only marked for 800 silver). One is enough for me, and I'm happy enough to think that is at least pre-45.

Ferg, the "Meybauer" fakes I was referring to are more commonly found as fairly easy to detect solid back castings. I do recall seeing at least one fairly glitzy clique, most likely a repro, of this type as well though. Also, the TR AWS is attributed to an entirely different firm - Arno Walpach from memory. I don't think the crimp comparison is valid because of the different makers involved.

Regards
          Mike
          Regards
          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

you might have more luck posting this on the GMIC forum, there are a bunch of real expert Imperial guys over there.

Best, Sal

Comment

Tank badge

Hey Mike, you are right, regarding the AWS mix up , I put two and two together and got 5!!!! It still has a nice 'waffle crimped' pin though !! Ferg1

Comment

Originally posted by Sal Williams
                you might have more luck posting this on the GMIC forum, there are a bunch of real expert Imperial guys over there.
                Best, Sal
                Got a link to that forum?

Comment

I've added it here: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4288&st=0
                  pseudo-expert

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X