No announcement yet.

Finally-Napoleonic Wars Jaeger rifle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sliding wood patchbox and the heavy use of brass are very much European features circa late 18th Century.

I don't have a book on European flintlocks, but I just leafed through the Flayderman 's Guide entries on Kentucky Rifles, and all of the features that are described as "borrowed" from late 18th century European guns are present.

If it were earlier 18th century the stock would be straighter, and if it were from far into the 19th century there would be essentially no brass fittings.

Also, the brass side plate on the left side that connects the two screws seems a bit abnormal. All of the guns I looked at either had no plate at all or had a very narrow band only connecting the two screws. That might be a good place to start.

After a bit of searching, it seems to bear a stylistic resemblance to the British Baker Rifle

Comment

Hi Karl,

maybe you will find this helpful:

http://www.preussenweb.de/waffen.htm

http://www.waffensammler-kuratorium....rjb1796ge.html

Christian

Comment

Looking at the photos, I get the sense that there has been much repair work done on this piece. I get the feeling that the lock is a replacement. The shape of the lockplate doesn't match the outline of the mortice in the stock. The lock actually looks civilian to me and the frizzen spring doesn't match the wear on the rest of the piece. The brass plate opposite the lock also looks like a repair as well.

Just my initial thoughts.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul McKee
          Looking at the photos, I get the sense that there has been much repair work done on this piece. I get the feeling that the lock is a replacement. The shape of the lockplate doesn't match the outline of the mortice in the stock. The lock actually looks civilian to me and the frizzen spring doesn't match the wear on the rest of the piece. The brass plate opposite the lock also looks like a repair as well.

Just my initial thoughts.

Paul
          I agree with Paul that the lock is a later replacement. If you were adventurous enough to take off the lock you would probably see that the mortising inside the stock for the lock won't match up. the lock plate I believe is an attempt to disguise the screw holes for the earlier lock. The lock is indicative of an English lock and not German. Maybe possible that the lock was made in the 20th century and not 18th. The rest of the gun looks good. As for price I can not say I've been out of the loop to long.

Comment

The lock is a replacement. My dad told me that the man he bought it from, Tom Meyers, had originally gotten it with a circa 1820's percussion lock on it. I am sure that had been on it since the 1820's when it was converted from flintlock. He wanted to convert it back, and this is as close as he got I guess. I am sure that hurt the value a bit, but as long as I can afford my plane ticket to Germany, I will be happy.
            Later!
            Karl
            Last edited by dunkirchen1940; 03-08-2006, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I decided to remove the lock to see what was underneath. Here is what I found.
              Let me know what you think of it.
              Karl
              Attached Files

Comment

I found this lock on one of the links provided by Christian. Thanks for them!
                It is a similar lock to the one on my Jaeger rifle, although more fancy.
                Could mine be a German lock also, or just generic?

Comment

Karl,

What does the stock look like under the brass plate opposite the lock?

Paul

Comment

Sorry about not getting back sooner. My computer has been acting the last week. This is what it looks like under the brass plate.
                    Later!
                    Karl
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nobody? I really want to sell this soon. Does anyone want to buy it, or know where I could sell it?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X