No announcement yet.

WWI Imperial Postcards Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From lack of response on the last seven images I posted five days ago, I guess there's nothing to get excited about here. Thanks all for the information supplied on the cards.

Regards,

Gary

Comment

PCs

Gary;

It is 5 AM and I noticed this as I was fading. A few comments but I will return.

Some of the cards were addressed but no sign of actual mailing, you see this frequently. A guy would write up a card and then decide to send it in an envelope, or even keep it and deliver in person.

The text messages usually are the least interesting part, unfortunately. Usually "Thanks for the warm socks, the food sucks!" or "heart-felt greetings to blah, blah, etc." One of your text messages ends with unit specifications, probably the sender is sending his unit numbers as his address.

The different armies had different regulations. The first two were not Prussian as they do not have the Absender block; usually written "Abs. --- ----". The sender had to give his last name, rank, and unit. Often the most useful thing on a card. With it you know who sent it. Another Prussian regulation was that, starting in 1915, the address material had to be written in modern script, not Suetterlin. Due to this many writers also wrote place names in modern script in the body of the text, amid a sea of Suetterlin.

The German stamp collecting society has a working group on Feldpost (can't remember if it is only WW I or WW I & II). In a moment of madness I almost joined a couple of years ago. About 100 members then, a few US. They publish a newsletter each quarter. Being German, they are exactly 50 pages a quarter, not 49 or 51 pages. Comforting to us Huns.

These are often to usually very hard to read (the text). I have about 50 from within my family, mostly between my father and grand-father, both in the Army. Learned to read German and then Suetterlin and Kurrent to read them.

Bob Lembke

Comment

more post

here is a post card that is one of a whole series of correspondences from the same person feld post dated for july 6 1915
        Attached Files

Comment

the other side

here is the other side
          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X